And we thought Citroens were wierd!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

And we thought Citroens were wierd!

Post by Richard Gallagher »

My mother has (against her better judgement I know) just bought a new VW Golf. Upon the invite to take for a spin I adjusted the electric door mirrors only to find that when adjusting the O/S one it also worked the N/S one at the same time and in the opposite direction![:(!]
So, should you want to 'tweak' the O/S mirror you then need to adjust the N/S one again even though you were happy with its position previously.
Also, I found that the Skoda Superb (3 at work, VW Passat) does the same.
VW (very Wrong) call this "Mirror synchronization". However quite what use it serves other than to totally irritate the driver is lost on me.[:(]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Sure it's not a "design" wiring fault? Much have been designed by the French, though...lol
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Hi Richard, Thanks for the roof bars and thank your wife and daughter for delivering them to us (all be it the scenic route) he he!! One of my customers bought a brand new golf and after 2 weeks took it too a car wash when the windows refused to shut causing the car to fill with water. She should have stuck with something a bit more reliable like a French car for instance.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Women and maps oh dear.
Roundabout, turn right third exit, 1/4 mile next roundabout Texaco garage/McDonalds, third exit, stop.
Women no, I'll just keep going for another 5 miles past the second R/A then hubby will call me, dispair and I'll turn around and plead that the directions weren't clear, sigh!!!!!!!!!
I take it that they fit OK?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

Women and maps oh dear.
Roundabout, turn right third exit, 1/4 mile next roundabout Texaco garage/McDonalds, third exit, stop.
Women no, I'll just keep going for another 5 miles past the second R/A then hubby will call me, dispair and I'll turn around and plead that the directions weren't clear, sigh!!!!!!!!!
I take it that they fit OK?
I know this is totally off topic, but at this point I must mention that my wife holds a map upside down to read it and then complains about the lack of space because she keeps bumping her arms when she turns it back round again to read the names.
Her greatest claim to fame was many years ago when we went for a trip somewhere for the first time and ended up crossing a State border while she sat there calmly protesting that she had it right. Problem was, we were on a road with no houses, had no mobile phone and didn't have a clue how far to the nearest servo and the fuel was running out fast.
I should have expected thia really after I accidentally used her as a navigator on a Rally (prior to us getting married) and she almost navigated me into a river by sending me down a stock route in the middle of the night (based on intuition rather than navigational instructions) and then decided to tell me on an economy run we were 53 miles from our next check point 50 minutes before we were due to check in there!![V][V][V]
Alan S [;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Before you all start ganging up on the girls, you should be aware that this is in fact a totally genitic problem. ALL women read maps upside down if they are going in that direction. Women navigate in an entirely different way to men. The majority of women (Tina Thörner excepted) have great difficulty understanding and following maps - and it isn't their fault - it's built into their genes. Women navigate by attaching memories to objects rather than following a logical path.
Enough psychology for this forum then, back to cars!
I think the original idea behind mirror synchronization was in fact quite good - it was desgined to adjust both rear view mirrors for a new driver.
i.e. IF the mirrors are correctly adjusted for driver A, then when driver B who is taller (sits farther back and higher than driver A) adjusted one, the other mirror would automatically adjust itself to keep the same focus.
However, there must be a function for setting the mirrors correctly first.
//NiSk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

One of my mates has got a road atlas which is in two halves - the front has place names the right way up, the back has place names upside down for women travelling south!
There is apparently of setting the 'base position' of those odd mirrors, but I can't remember how to do it - something to do with the sequence ISTR.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>
Women navigate by attaching memories to objects rather than following a logical path.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But i tend to navigate my memories (or lack of them), theres over 370 pubs in Liverpool, not too far off one on every corner, no navigation by pub is really easy! Does that make me a girl?
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Hi Richard, yes they fitted fine just the job, and they were in brand new condition which pleased my wife no end.