ZX Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlWilliams
My Cars:

ZX Clutch

Post by AlWilliams »

Hi,
They say they come in threes, here's my second one!
After living with a clutch with a biting point on the deck, it's now started to slip. Time to get the box off!
I need to hit this in one go this weekend as I use the car (ZX TD) every day for work. Would someone know the answers to the following
1) The TD box on my car has been replaced by a D one a couple of years ago, so which clutch kit do i need?
2) What ancillery items are needed (already have gear box oil)?
3) Apart from usual work shop tools, anything 'special' needed
4) I have read that a hoist to drop the box out is a real help, how about a length of 2"*2" resting on the wings with a webbing strap?
Many thanks for all your advice.
Al.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Al,
1) Impossible to tell really until you get the box off. But, if it is biting near the floor, and the operation is by the cable inner, then it is probably a D (push type) clutch rather than the TD pull type (operation by cable outer)
2) New driveshaft oil seals, possibly gear box input shaft seal, bushes for the release arm. You might consider replacing the water pump inlet housing on the back of the block as it is (relatively) easy to do with the RH drive shaft out. You're supposed to use new nuts for any of the suspension components you disturb with nylock nuts.
3) Don't think so (but I haven't done it, yet!)
4) Might be, what ever you do you need to be able to slide the box to the left of the car to disengage it from the engine, and then lower it out of the bottom.
Good luck!
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

I recently changed my clutch and gearbox. I had problems with the RH Driveshaft bearing being seized in the mount.
I managed to man handle my gearbox in and out, but I'm 19 stone and six-two. The choice is entirely yours, just watch your back!
I changed the driveshaft oil seals, input shaft seal, the lower engine mount, and of course the clutch. Plus two litres of the TOTAL BV gear oil from GSF.
I would imagine the clutch to be the same for most TD engines, the gearbox being the D version, dunno!!! Does it have the infamous pull-type clutch?
You may have difficulty removing the gearbox mounting stud. Its the one under the battery tray. It's thread locked into the gearbox and does'nt have any real flats to get a spanner on.[:(!] I had to molegrip mine and hammmer it loose enough to undo...you have to remove it to pull the gearbox away from the engine, otherwise it snags on the bulkhead.
The air filter bolts are a bit fiddly to get to.
If you search for zx td gearbox change, you can read some of the replies that I had. They may be of help.
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

Thanks for your help.
Hope the weeked isn't too hot[;)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Recent experience tells me that the box will not want to come out, fouling the crossmember, then once its out it will not want to go back in! I think I eventually persuaded it by placing a scissor jack between the sump and the crossmember and pushing the engine forward and lifting it simultaneously but the workshop swearbox needed collection by securicor! I use a blowlamp and a plumbers wrench to remove the long mounting stud, heat the gearbox where it screws in then unscrew it, it is usually ok to do this after gearbox is removed as gravity helps on the way out! lots of luck
Stewart