Campervans towing cars

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MW
My Cars:

Campervans towing cars

Post by MW »

Not actually a Citroen question at all, but just a matter of idle curiosity. Two or three times this summer, I've seen campervans tanking down the motorway at eighty-odd with small cars - Fiat cinquecentos, baby Hondas, etc - following on a permanent rigid towbar right behind them. All four wheels down on the road, and going like the clappers (with the engine switched off and nobody at the car's wheel, of course).
Seems like the ultimate holiday accessory for the terminally idle. But three questions:
1) Is it legal, and since when?
2) How do you reverse that sort of a towing set-up around corners?
3) Doesn't it trash the car's gearbox to be towed at that sort of speed with the engine switched off? I was always told that fifty was the max, and for short distances only.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well I've spent a few months in the States where it's a very common sight, it doesn't really answer your questions, but as there are so may people doing it over there it can't be that bad for the car. Mind you, over there they're towing full size family saloons on the back of something the size of a Greyhound coach.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

MW. interesting issue this one. Many years ago I had to recover a car from some miles away and recruited the assistance of the police. I had to disable the car sufficiently for it to be classed as a trailer in order to tow it on a rigid tow setup. Clearly something has changed. As I understand it the law has sufficient 'grey' in it to allow this method. This would then limit the vehicles to 60 mph max anyway and ban them from the outside lane on motorways.
As for towing the vehicle above 50, only if it is an auto is it bad as the gearbox is not lubricated without the engine running. Manual boxes are generally fine.
As for reversing, well most people cannot reverse a standard set up so this one being blind to the driver - it just doesn't happen I guess.
Any further detail on this one folks?. Robin
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Towing cars on A-frames is allowable in this country, but not on the Continent. A couple of years ago, I talked to a motor caravanner on the site in Spain where we stay in Winter. They had travelled from Calais all the way down to Costa del Sol with his Fiesta on tow, and was only stopped once. He pleaded ignorance; unhitched; put his wife in the driving seat for the next fifty miles; and then hooked up again.
I have an A-frame in the garage which I use infrequently when I need to collect a 'family' car for MOT work. The A-frame has two chains which go round the lower suspension arms, and are then screwed up tight. The tow feels very secure behind the towcar with no deviation. (Unless you forget to unlock the steering)
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

I've only had a close look at one of these when they first started appearing. The chap had made it himself and very professional it was. He was towing a Fiat Panda, and had rigged up brakes which operated on the over-run principle, just like a normal caravan tow hitch. That pulled a cable which plugged in to a very clever arrangement on the Panda's front valance. The female end of the plug hade a second cable which simply pulled the brake pedal on the Panda down. Absolutely ingenious and it worked really well.
Undoing the plug was simplicity itself, just pull a lock ring back and then pull the plug out. Brilliant!
Jamie
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

It looks all nice and easy, but one thing you must remember that its comes into the same LAW as towing an un-braked trailer.
So you must check the weight limit of the towing vehicle and the weight of the towed vehicle and be sure it is within the limits allowed, just as you would for towing a trailer.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sooty</i>

It looks all nice and easy, but one thing you must remember that its comes into the same LAW as towing an un-braked trailer.
So you must check the weight limit of the towing vehicle and the weight of the towed vehicle and be sure it is within the limits allowed, just as you would for towing a trailer.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You're right! Which is probably why Continental countries won't accept them.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

It all comes down to weight limits i think on the towing campervan.
As an all year round caravaner,we see alot of these on sites.It does`nt make sense to me that you have to tax,insure,mot and fuel 2 vehicals when you can tow a caravan & just pay 4 your car.
I can see that if you have a long distance to travel,then a campervan is more comfortable than a car,but having towed down to Rome,found the Xantia to b nice enough!!
Have a look at www.caravanclub.co.uk
Theres proberly more on there about the law side of things
goodier
My Cars:

Post by goodier »

My daughters Fiat cinquecento fits in the rear of my xantia estate,[:o)][:o)][:D] no weight problem
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Thats because their made out of Balsa wood!!! LOL
goodier
My Cars:

Post by goodier »

neil 115bhp conv tell me more
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

www.vanaaken.com
1.9td 92bhp/150lft,now115bhp/185lft.Cost £385 2 yrs ago,had it done at 105k,now done 134k.Pulls like a train through the gears,fuel ecom about the same,30mpgish towing caravan,40-50ish everyday.Took about 3 hrs to do as they check that your car is running right before & after.Its all done on the fuel pump.Later cars(hdi ect)are done with a electronic device.Before it used to run out of puff at 4400rpm,now it will pull smoothly in 5th from 1200rpm,& hit 5000rpm in 1/2/3/4 gear!!
After looking through past posts it seems many people DIY their fuel pumps with good results.I did`nt like to mess with it though.E mail them/call them,tell them what car you have & they will send you a very comprehensive info pack.