Citroen Xantia LX 1.8 *M reg* questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

WildWayz
My Cars:

Citroen Xantia LX 1.8 *M reg* questions

Post by WildWayz »

Hi all,
I'm a newbie when it comes to Citroens as I just bought a 2nd hand Citroen Xantia 1.8 LX (M reg) for £450 with 94K on the clock.
I bought it off a friend of mine who is a self employed mechanic (not trained as one, but fixes a lot of cars). It passed it's MOT and was recently serviced too.
Anyway, I took it for it's first drive at the weekend and the thing is "bouncy" - ended up re-creating the scene from Wayne's World (where they play Bohemian Rhapsody). When I bought it, my friend said I may want to replace the rear spheres for a smoother ride as the front ones are new. Could this be the cause of the spongy behaviour?
Also, I currently drive a company car (Y Reg Toyota Avensis) and the pedals are a heck of a lot different. I have to really push the accelerator down to "take off" whereas on my Avensis, I don't have to push it down far. Is it a big job to adjust it?
One final thing... when braking, i hear a kinda grinding noise (no, not like bare brake discs) - what could this be? I was told it should disappear after a few runs.
Oh oops and another. I only have 1 set of keys. I tried to get a spare cut, but noone would do it. Can I get them from Citroen? If so, how much? I don't think they key is keycoded (it has a keypad immobiliser).
Is there a website with info that I can look at?
James
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi James,
you mean the rear suspension feels way too soft ?
- that can not be flat suspension spheres, as then it feels like no spring elements are fitted in the suspension, i.e. it feels rock hard.
If you open the bonnet, with the engine idling, you should hear a clik sound emitted from low down the engine. That would be the hydraulic pressure regulator cuttinng in/out maintaining the working pressure.
The time interval between these clicks, should be at least 30seconds, at best up in the minutes range.
If you have rapid, even constant clicking, then the sphere located down on engineblock is flat, which is known to cause strange symptoms on the rear suspension, - and the brakes (dangerous !).
The Xantia is a rather heavy car, and not exactly a racer with the 1.8 engine. This model is defo aimed aginst the family segment, not the sporty drivers.
The brakes should not emit strange noises. But if the car has stood for long, the discs would be stained, which will grind when the pads works against the discs. I'd tend to remove the front wheels, and have a look to ensure everything looks OK. Above all, the brakes are the most important "feature" - on any car [8)]
Donno on the keys problem. I've never experienced a problem cutting spare keys for my cars. May be that simple, they dont have the base keys for this type.
Some tech info found here :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

James, Timpson keycutting WILL cut you a Xantia key for £12.00. It's a good idea to redirect the throttle cable in the engine bay: not around the engine as they normally come, but straight out at the pedal direction, and then twist on top of the engine to the throttle end. It will make a big difference.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

James,
Just a thought, but if the car is "bouncy", have you checked to see if the suspension height lever next to the handbrake is in the normal setting (first notch back from fully forward, should be marked with a thick white line)? Xantias ride like bouncy castles if driven at speed in the high setting...
The brakes might just have some rust stains on the discs, as Anders says. But probably best to whip the wheels off and have a good look anyway.
As for the keys, just about any high street keycutter will be able to duplicate Citroen keys - both of my Xantias only came with the plip key and I had no trouble having spares made (without the plip bit, of course! ). Or try your local Sunday market - worked for me!
Stu.
WildWayz
My Cars:

Post by WildWayz »

Thanks guys :)
lhm leak - the suspension hight lever is set to "middle" or normal (ie now lowest or highest positions). The bouncyness happens at low speeds too. As I said, it just passed it's MOT and was recently serviced - so it *should* be fine.
As for Timpson's - I think i tried them in Huddersfield at the weekend, and they said they have never managed to cut a Citroen key that worked. Will call about tho :)
Once again, thank you all for all the help - you're a top bunch of lads :D
James