Fast Idle - Thanks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichG
My Cars:

Fast Idle - Thanks

Post by RichG »

I would like to thank all forum members who have contributed suggestions on how to cure a Xantia fast Idle.
Mine has been high for a while now and this afternoon I decided to try to cure it. Adjusting the idle speed screw had no effect whatsoever. The only way that I could reduce the idle speed was to screw down the Fast Idle screw. When I rev'd the car the cable from the diaphragm moved but pulling it did not appear to reduce the idle speed.
A quick search on this newsgroup pointed to a faulty fast idle solenoid so this was duly removed from the car and tested.
Resistance - OK
Operation - OK
Power to solenoid - OK
It was only when reconnecting the pipes that I realised that the pipe from the EGR valve was not connected the other end. In fact the end was split. I cut off the split end and reconnected the pipe to the exhaust manifold connection (not much fum with a hot engine). This then cured the problem and I was able to adjust the slow and fast idle. Afterwards I did think that I may have loosened the pipe when I replaced the LHM fluid a few weeks ago which involves diconnecting the Fast Idle and EGR mounting bracket and moving it out of the way of the LHM tank.
Thanks again for all the information held in the forum archieve. I wonder is it because Citroen owners are such helpful people, do we all hate spending money at Citroen Dealers or do Citroens have more than their fair share of faults? I think that it is a combination of all three and the warm glow that you get with a job well done.
Richard.