306 diesel cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrish

306 diesel cutting out

Post by chrish »

Hi i'm new to peugeots so any help is gratefully received. We was given '94 306 diesel 195K, girlfriend drove it to work along dual carriageway for about 5 mins it then cuts out and cant be restarted until it has cooled down. Has anyone got any ideas at all. It is not billowing out smoke either and nothing went bang. Timing belt is ok as well. Any ideas anyone
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

What happens if you try to start it when warm? Does it turn over OK?
It sounds possibly like the fuel pump is at fault, when the engine warms properly a cable loosens off and allows the cold start advance arm to return to the off position and this reduces the diesel flow, when this happens it may not be getting enough fuel. It could also just be dirty/faulty injectors. It is possible to increase the fuel flow if it is the lucas/cav pump. I can give you more info on that if needed but try some millers or stp diesel injector cleaner first. If there is no improvement, adjust the grub screw on the top of the cold start arm so it never fully goes off and see if that helps. If it does then increased fuel will probably resolve the issue.
If you find it needs new injectors then I have some here out of my old engine, I know they are sound as the engine was 'upgraded' so there was nothing wrong with it. I also have a pump if you find the pump is faulty.
Alternatively I have the bottom end of the engine if you find there are more serious problems. The only thing I havent got is the cylinder head. (there is one there but not sure of condition as off different car).
If you find you need any parts just mail me an offer.