306 1.9 d orange warning light on dash???

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

will16v
My Cars:

306 1.9 d orange warning light on dash???

Post by will16v »

Hi,
keep getting an orange warning light flickering on and off on my '96 306 1.9 d - top left hand corner of the dash display.T
The graphic looks like some sort of tank, with liquid at in it, and two outlets at the top on either side. Not on all the time, just doing my head in.
Thought it might be the fuel filter, so changed that, and wasnt as bad for maybe a couple of days, and still isnt as bad as before, but the light is still flickering on and stays on for five mins or so, sometimes just 5 secs.
When i turn left or right when driving, it sometimes seems to flicker, as if some liquid level is covering whatever sensor this is and knocking off the light?
Don't have a manual so dunno what it is - any one know?
Also - just got the fan belt changed - had a guy to have a look as oil is leaking down the back of the engine, and onto the sump - thought it was sump gasket - but he is saying that it is head gasket - common fault and should be fine if i keep an eye on oil level and top it up when needed?????!?!?!?!?
Hope someone can help...paranoid that engine will go bang - gotta drive nearly 600 miles in it in 6 weeks time...!
joshm

Post by joshm »

Hi,
If the tank in the lamp icon has a curved base then it's the light saying that you have water in the fuel. You were right to change the filter - maybe if you keep running it for a while the new filter will solve the problem? I'm no diesel expert so I would suggest you find one or wait until a better reply comes from someone else on the board.
As for the head gasket, it's a reasonably big job to do, and unless you're in love with the car, it's in really great condition otherwise, or are pretty handy with these things yourself, I would probably follow your man's advice and just keep topping up the level. If it was a bad leak the bloke probably would have said that it needed more attention, but the fact that he was happy to let it go probably means that you can live with it for a while. If in doubt take it for a second opinion but expect quite a large estimate for fixing it!
Again, I've never done a head gasket or taken one to have one done so I would see what others have to say on the matter, but I would have thought you would be looking at a couple of hundred quid to put right.
Josh
will16v
My Cars:

Post by will16v »

Gonna try and drain out that bleed valve thing on the fuel pump housing and see if any water comes out...worth a try...heard they can get condensation in there - or maybe just a faulty connection..?
As for head gasket, i thought it would be expensive, and would prob get timing belt done at same time - so maybe £250 at least - so maybe a job to do later - not causing any probs, missus is moaning cos its making a mess on the drive tho! - tell her to pay for it if she's that bothered hehe
Thanks for the advice Josh
Will.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Water-in-fuel sensors are noted for telling lies. I've written in previous postings on this subject, I used to keep two Pug 205's, one with a water sensor and one without. I never ever found water in either filter bowl, but the warning light was always popping on. In the end I disconnected it.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Have a look at this thread running on the Citroen section:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=7676
Jamie
will16v
My Cars:

Post by will16v »

Thanks for the info - messed about with the sensor, and its stopped coming on all together now - didnt even drain the bleed valve to see if water was in there...so ok for now -
Thanks again guys - much appreciated..
Will.
evansad
My Cars:

Post by evansad »

The orange warning light on the far left of the dash lights up intermittently on mine. Try using water removing addditives to the fuel tank.