94 Xantia Door will not open (unlocked)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a lemon on wheels

94 Xantia Door will not open (unlocked)

Post by a lemon on wheels »

If anyone can shed any light on this problem I'd be much appreciated, I have tried...the torch was not bright enough.
Front passenger UK Xantia model (1994 Hatch)- cannot open the door, it appears that the latch is clamped onto the 'bit' between the front and rear doors (if this makes sense) as I can hear the wires within the door moving (between internal door opener and the rear of the door). Tried locking unlocking door (with and without deadlocks) to no avail and tried opening from outside and inside car.

How do I open the door - Do I have to open the rear door behind it and get access to the opening mechanism this way. It does not sound like a sticky lock as I have suffered this on a rear door and there is some 'give'. The front door in this case is absolutely solid.
Any replies much appreciated,
Ta
Matt
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi matt,
- you have experienced a very common problem, prone to develop on any car with years of service on the roads. It's the lock mechanism that's either dry, or have disengaged in one of the small control links.
The only way to solve such a problem, is to strip the door from inside, to access the lock mechanism.
You can NOT access the lock mechanism in question from the door pillar, as there are no "through-holes" from one door to the other in the pillar. So please save your efforts on this.
Sorry, but it's the hard way.
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

I had this happen on the front passenger door of the Xantia. I put all my weight and strength against the outside of the door (pushing it closed, as it were) and then tried the handle and with some wiggling, managed to get the bugger open.
Good luck, hope this might help.
James
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

i had the same problem with my GT's boot... In the supermarket car park..i know this is no help for anyone, just thought id mention it..had to go inside the supermarket AGAIN & buy a spanner set to get the damn boot to open from the inside..while al the frozen stuff defrosted...coming to think of it.. the gear linkages came off in the same car park on a seperate occasion..im never shopping again,, they can sodding well deliver it to me.[:p]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I also have bad experiences with supermarkets [8D]
My 2.nd car ever, a Simca 1501S, got a puncture at the supermarket car park, the spare wheel was flat as well.
Had to go back and buy a bike (was on sale that week), then biked to the nearest gas station to inflate my spare wheel, and back again to change the wheel [:D][:D]
That was back in '81, still have the bike, but the car dead sure now has several new identities, as part of newer cars, even as 2.nd generation [;)]
a lemon on wheels

Post by a lemon on wheels »

Thanks for the replies guys,
I did a search b4 posting on this and other forum sites for Citroen and found the stripping the door from the inside - I even found one involving a hammer and chisel (does not bear thought - that was Renault though).
After posting I thought I would try the car key in the affected passenger door thinking that I might be able to giggle it rather than using the central locking remote that seems to give a defined amount of power (battery was just replaced 2 months ago though after 5 yrs of service).
It worked.
I liberally sprayed all door hinges with WD40, although there was grease (w/o dirt) already there.
Funny so many people have posted problems occurring on their trip to the supermarket, that is where I noted the problem myself, lol.
Thanks again for the replies
drkstuart
My Cars:

Post by drkstuart »

i had the same with a door on an xm.try thumping the door by the lock mechanism with the side of your fist a few times.its worked for me on a number of occasions.