2017 Peugeot Boxer 2.0HDI Smoke Issues

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nick_Lincs

2017 Peugeot Boxer 2.0HDI Smoke Issues

Post by Nick_Lincs »

Hi All - Can anyone help please?

I have a Peugeot Boxer 2.0HDI (Boxer 335 Pro L3H2 Blue HDI) which is giving out large amounts of white smoke from the exhaust when the engine is warm.

We purchased the van a couple of weeks ago and had no issues while running locally, we took the van on a long run approx. 200 miles and about 30 miles from home on the return journey the issue started.

From cold everything is normal but as soon as it reaches temperature the van starts pumping out large amounts of white smoke (you cant see anything due to the amount of smoke), the van is not using oil and the coolant level is ok. It has been to two garages and they cannot solve the issue. They have changed the EGR valve, Forced a DPF Regen, They have removed the AdBlue injector to eliminate overdosing, Live data shows the injectors are ok, no lights on the dash or codes in the ECU.

No fluid etc in the exhaust, the smoke does have a funny smell.

If you give the van some high revs it starts to clear for a few seconds but come straight back. All levels are ok, plenty of AdBlue, definitely not been incorrectly fuelled. There is no loss of power and the van drives and sounds as it should.

We are at a bit of a loss as to what could be causing this. I have it booked in at the main dealer in a few weeks but thought someone may have an idea.

Any help appreciated.

VIN: VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] Engine #: DYZZ4113457
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 2017 Peugeot Boxer 2.0HDI Smoke Issues

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Check the thermostat - if this is stuck open it can cause excessive smoking and probably won't produce a fault code.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

We had a turbo fail on a petrol Saab and that surrounded the car in white smoke. Other thoughts are a failed head gasket so it is losing coolant into a cylinder, an injector leaking into a cylinder so overfueling, an exhaust leak. However, the garages seem to have checked these things.

A simple check on the thermostat is to see if the radiator top hose gradually gets warm as the engine gradually warms, rather than waiting until it is hot and then opens. If gradual then it is opening too early. If you have a code reader with live data the temperatures can be checked.
Nick_Lincs

Post by Nick_Lincs »

So we have taken the van back to the garage this morning and they have changed the thermostat and it has made no difference. this van will be the death of me ;-)
DEVON DOGG

Post by DEVON DOGG »

I run a courier company
Jeremy Hawke Couriers if your bored :-D

We have had endless problems with these new 2 litre engines and I would be looking at reinvestigating the Adblue system
I was convinced the engine was burning oil on one of them and our machinic found the adblue injector was at fault.

I will warn you these engines are made of butter and we have not yet taken one beyond 120k before it self destructs
I went backwards replacing a 19 plate with a low milage 16plate Euro 5 Vauxhall Movanno :shock: :shock:
Nick_Lincs

Post by Nick_Lincs »

Thanks Devon, Thanks for the advice, i certainly will not be buying anymore.

The garage have removed the AdBlue injector and tied it out of the way, effectively removing the whole AdBlue system and the van still does the same.

Its giving me a headache. I am just really reluctant to take it to Peugeot as they always find a way of making the bill over a grand lol
DEVON DOGG

Post by DEVON DOGG »

I dont know you and your van but thinking about is now giving me a headache :-D :-D :-D :-D
Gaz31j

Post by Gaz31j »

Hi, I’m new to this forum and came across your post, I have a boxer 2017 2.0 blue hdi which is suffering from the same issue as you described, as you posted in October I’m just wondering if you managed to find the cure for the problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Gaz👍🏻