Loose Wire Under Bonnet

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steveallmond

Loose Wire Under Bonnet

Post by steveallmond »

Hi All,
I bought a W plate Saxo VTR a few months ago, opened the bonnet to find a loose wire just hanging there. It is just in front of the exhast manifold, and behind the radiator. It is quite low down and green in colour.
(Picture below)
Does anyone have a clue where this might go or if it indeed should be loose. Could anyone with a Saxo have a quick look under their bonnet for this mystery wire?!
Thanks
Steve
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

It looks like a diagnostic socket. If it is it will be for connecting diagnostics when there is a fault.
Having said that it's an odd place to have one!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Steve - anything that does not seem to work as expected ?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

its definitely not the diagnostic socket as thats inside the car.it looks to me like the plug for the lambda sensor,follow it & see if it goes into the exhaust downpipe,if it is this connector then the other half is above the gearbox at the side of the cylinder head.
surely though if this is the lambda sensor plug if its disconected the car cant be running ok & will be using too much fuel,i would think the engine management light would come on also.does the engine management light come on when you switch the ignition on then go out a few seconds after you start the car(possible bulb removed) ? its the only thing i can think of with a 4 pin plug like that.
has the catalytic convertor been removed from the car ?
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I'm sure thats a lambda connector, mine was dissconnected for a year without any running problems (rover 416) only realised what the wire was, when doing the emmissions for the MOT.
Has it had a go faster exhaust on at all, I have seen them without holes for sensor in the past, you may have problems MOT time if so[V]
steveallmond

Post by steveallmond »

Hi All, thanks for your replys,
Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary (except for the airbag light flashing all the time). The engine runs smoothly and the management light comes on and then off after a few seconds. It still has the original exhast on it including the cat.
Any other ideas very welcome!
Thanks
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Lambda sensors dont have that type of plastic connectors because they melt! They usually just have a foot of wiring coming from them dont they?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well - the airbag light flashing seems to be a common Citroen problem, caused by dislodged connectors/wires in the front seats. Have a look on the wiring under the front seats.
If nothing else seem to be wrong, you may certainly get help from a MOT tester, when time comes. They will only fail your car if something is wrong. They see lots of different cars everyday, and may know what the connector is for.
They do help owners with weird problems.
steveallmond

Post by steveallmond »

Hi,
Thanks all for your help - I've found it's home. There was another cable hanging above the gearbox which was the 'female' connector for the wire. It was the lambda cable as the other end went to the exhast.
Wierd how the engine was running sweet as anything before and it doesn't seem to have made any difference but still got is sorted!
Thanks!