Peugeot Boxer Temperature sensor

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John1966
(Donor 2022)

Peugeot Boxer Temperature sensor

Post by John1966 »

In my seemingly never ending quest to resolve the premature regeneration on my Boxer, I've come across a number of references to the requirement to have an external temperature sensor.
My van has nothing on the display, neither a row of lines nor anything in the menu, neither does it appear to have a sensor on the drivers mirror, so a couple of questions,
Should all boxer vans of this age and type (2016 2.2 110hp) have this facility? or not
Is it possible that the mirror has been replaced without the sensor and the display turned off?
Or am I just barking up the wrong tree whilst clutching at straws!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Peugeot Boxer Temperature sensor

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The sensor is a nipple type sensor that usually can be found on the exterior wing mirror on the underside of the housing. It's usually only be on one side on cars, so you need to look under the mirror for the little black dimple. Parts for your boxer show it on both mirrors but that may just mean it could be on either side depending on country, so don't be surprised if there is only one.

Shown as item (20)

Driver's Side:
box sen a.PNG
Passenger Side:[/b]
box sen b.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

John, also noticed your vehicle has an outstanding aftersales campaign. It's for the Side Door Switch (Check the sliding side door switch and replace it if necessary), ref: HKE.

So I'd get it booked in for checking - it will be free of charge.

Marc
John1966
(Donor 2022)

Post by John1966 »

Thanks for the info, main question is should it be fitted with a sensor and a readout on the dash? or is it possible that not all these vans were?

I have tried booking it in, however a visit to a main dealer would cost me a few a few days and a few hundred to get there and back, so it needs to be tied in with a city visit for something else!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

From your VIN, yes, it is shown as fitted - see the diagrams on all models. Although you don't have Air Conditioning, I've not known a vehicle in the last 25 years not to show the external temperature and to do that they use a sensor usually in the wing mirrors away from the engine to record the ambient temperature.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This vid shows a tear down, but I think his sensor was in the other mirror as when asked by a commenter, he said 'path side'. Typical.

Marc
John1966
(Donor 2022)

Post by John1966 »

If it stops raining at some point I'll take a look inside the doors/ mirrors for wiring, indicator repeaters and heaters all work ok in the mirrors, would the sensor be connected into the same plug? or should I be looking for a separate connection? Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so have a look at this - this guy has correctly diagnosed DPF issues where the bloke spent thousands after bad advice when all it was all down to no temp sensor causing all the issues. Watch through and he'll show you where it is:

https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/exter ... am.501681/

As he says, people that have prang or a scrape replace it with a knock-off cheapo part or cover without the sensor and then wonder why they are getting issues.

Marc
John1966
(Donor 2022)

Post by John1966 »

It was seeing that video previously that led me to start investigating this as a possibility.
It did raise a number of questions on my van.
There is nothing on the dash display not even a row of lines, so has it been "coded" out if it was ever there to start with?
There are no holes in either of the mirrors, (there is a mark that could be drilled out), both mirrors appear to be original fitment so hence my earlier question, is it a possibility that this van was never fitted with this?
I'm not getting any fault codes for this on my reader (Autel 808 BT), it could well be that this is too basic a machine to pick it up, but it's pretty good otherwise.
Edit
I've just checked and there is only a single loom from the door into each mirror, and having now cracked the drivers blind spot mirror!!!!, I'll have a go at removing and disassembling the rest.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so after a struggle I have found this part where it is supposed to be - that guide in the last video will be helpful to get to this bit:
box sensor.PNG
Unclip the exterior shell (6) (at "c") using trim tools.
Detach: The exterior shell (6).
Unclip: The exterior temperature sensor (7).

Remove: The exterior shell (6).
CAUTION: Leave a length of 40 mm to restore the electrical connection of the external temperature sensor (7) (at "b").
Cut the 2 black wires of the exterior temperature sensor (7) (at "b").
Remove the external temperature sensor (7).

Marc
John1966
(Donor 2022)

Post by John1966 »

Absolutely nothing in the mirrors, don't look like they've ever been taken apart, date codes that I can read on the plastic bits would suggest all original, all the wires that go into the mirrors are accounted for, (motors, heaters and indicators) so I can only conclude that this particular van has never been fitted with one......
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well if it isn't there, don't worry about it John - but at least you know now.

I should say that you have the Ford Puma engine and these are different to PSA vehicles, and in fact much of this is a Ford to be honest , and as such even the DPF system is completely different to PSA systems, in that it generally has another injector to inject diesel into the filter, so there's no additive tank on these either. Which may be why the DPF system does not need a exterior temperature sensor.

Other Boxers with PSA engines have more original PSA equipment and systems rather than the Puma engined versions.

Marc