xm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobken
My Cars:

xm

Post by bobken »

I have just done a 250 mile round trip today and the speedo has started stopping and starting. Has anybody had this happen to their XM if so what is the remedy. Mine is 1998 Series 2 Turbo CT Auto 44000mls.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Is the tripmeter/odometer playing up at the same time? If so look for a fault in the wiring/transmitter in the gearbox, if not it's an internal fault in speedo.
//NiSk
bobken
My Cars:

Post by bobken »

Thanks for the reply, the fuel computer display works fine until the speedo stops then all I get there is outside temp and time. When the speedo starts again all is normal. It looks like a speedo change then, Thanks //NiSk
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

That could be misleading - all it's doing is reacting to not having a speed/distance input. Could still point to pulse generator in gearbox (not unusual in XM).
//NiSk
bobken
My Cars:

Post by bobken »

Is the pulse generator inside the gearbox.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

It's exactly where the speedo cable went into the geabox on the non-electric (earlier) versions. You should see a cable coming out from it. It's held in place by one M6 hexbolt (and a rather stiff O-ring). If you are unlucky, the plastic gear on the drive end may have disintegrated.
//NiSk
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

My 1996 S2 does the same thing. Has anyone actually replaced the sender ? Is it a servicable item ? Looking at the service manual this is located inside the gearbox sump (on the auto).