Xantia suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Norman

Xantia suspension

Post by Norman »

Hi,
Been a xantia 1.9td owner for 3 relatively happy weeks (N reg, 126,000 miles) until today. Circumstances forced me to drive onto a fairly high kerb...no problem getting up, but I came down rather heavier than planned, and since then the rear suspension has been non-existant. Front is ok, and rises and falls when using the lever, but the rear is I suspect as low as it can go, and will not rise at all. I was hoping to set off on my hols on Thursday...does this sound like a simple job? Im a competent home mechanic, but I have no experience with Citroen suspension.
Another quickie...the hifi unit is a 3030 without CD player, which I really miss. Been quoted £250 if I want to retain the steering wheel controls. Is there a cheaper way? Anyone got a second hand CD unit?
Thanks very much.
Norman
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Try gentily jacking the rear of the car up with the engine running - this can sometimes bring them up. If not it sounds like you've either broken or moved one of the height corrector linkages - not a job I've done myself but I'm sure one of the other lads will fill you in.
As for stereo - you can get any of the current Sony CD player range and use an Autoleads adaptor for about £30 which retains the steering wheel controls to the headunit. Sony HU's start about £100. A second hand one would do, as long as its compatible with the optional Sony RMX-4S control as the Autolead plugs into this port on the HU.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Not all (but most) of the Sony CD players are "joystick" compatable, by the way; I got caught out on that one! Luckily I'd specified that it was joytsick compatable (and bought the autoleads adaptor), so got a refund. An aftermarket one is definately the easiest way; just get the Facia adaptor from Citroen, nowhere else; it's only about a tenner from Cit; £20-ish everywhere else (including ebay)! Now there's a first...
As for the ride height issue, i'm with blueboy2001; sounds like the rear height corrector has popped off (a common fault, apparently). I'd doubt it's slipped (although it is possible). A quick look around that area should show what's up.