Steering rack PTFE seals help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

darbuck
Donor 2023

Re: Steering rack PTFE seals help needed

Post by darbuck »

Hmm ok I might just buy a bit and do it myself if it's that nice to work with. The seal shapes are not very complex so should be simple enough to make.
Darren
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

If you've got access to a lathe, try it. As long as you have sharp tools to cut/carve rather than grind it, you should be golden.
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

I have bought new nbr seals and ended up ordering acetal seals bearings from a guy on eBay the big one for the piston went on ok after softening in boiling water and a quick stretch over the piston and the top hat type bushes after some alterations went in ok as well. I had ordered 25 mm nbr seals as opposed to the 26mm that was in it. I did try acetal seals in the nbr seal but too small for the shaft and I am not putting 26 mm ID in because I think it will leak I am going to just leave it with the undersized seals and no PTFE bearing seal and see if it works. I did however coat everything in ptfe super lube grease to aid with friction it is a bit tighter but it feels good off the car I won't know until I try to run it. I am going to buy another rack long term and find a better solution. I will say if anyone is trying this you will need to find a way to remove the bushings without damaging them.
I wouldn't bother removing the PTFE seal off the piston as it is too difficult to find replacement. The smaller PTFE seals can be reused if you are careful when taking them out too,
because I was sure I would find a kit to replace them which it turns out I wasn't. 🙄. In the words of father jack, Gobs****.

I have since found a company here that makes up seals so I will see if I can get a kit together when I get a chance EDIT I will report back when I have a chance. I was going to try it without the bearing seals but I think it's a bad idea so I will wait to get new seals.
Darren
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Just to clarify these are high pressure seals with a 26mm seal and PTFE wiper. I have been in contact with ATHIDRAULIC in Lithuania they operates on eBay as well. we're going to work together to develop a kit for the racks.I will let you know when I know more. He has most of the components already in the MK1 and MK2 rack kit it just needs some alterations.
Darren
KennyW
Donor 2024

Post by KennyW »

Maybe some good news, well done Darren

I'm just waiting for the news of your C5 up and running properly.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Ah Hi Kenny, just a little bit left. a couple more jobs to do and then she'll be good to go. A dose of the flu 🤧 keeping me away from it at the moment.believe me I am just as anxious 😰😀
Darren
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

I wonder would someone be able to measure the outer diameter of the PTFE seals on the pinion I need the dimensions for the guy I am working with to develop a seal kit for the steering rack.i think I have all the rest. My original pinion is sleeved so if I pull the pinion I will destroy the new seals I put into it so needless to say I don't want to do that.any help would be appreciated.x7 pinion
Darren