Anti Freeze

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

Anti Freeze

Post by Dave1 »

I have just bought 3 litres of Citroen Anti Freeze from GSF and to my surprise discovered it is blue. All my previous bottles have contained the yellow/green solution. I have almost two litres of the latter already and intended to use these at my upcoming coolant change. The active ingredient appears to be the same but the reference number is slightly different and the words "longue duree" replace "Procor 3000". Can anyone shed any light on this. Are there two types and will I be OK mixing the two.
Dave
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Dave - My can of anti-freeze specifically says that it's not advisable to mix different brands as they may be incompatible.
AdrianO

Post by AdrianO »

I understand that what's sold as "antifreeze" is not a unique generic compound, but may be a formulation of different types of glycols. Also the active consitituents are sometimes claimed to be fully synthetic, sometimes not. The fully synthetic ones cost more but are claimed to have a longer (e.g. double) life. Ergo, best not to mix if you want to know where you are with it 6 or 12 months along.