207SW 2009 Towbar Electrical Fault

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
AndyThomson

207SW 2009 Towbar Electrical Fault

Unread post by AndyThomson »

Morning all,

Got myself a 207SW on Monday, a halfords lighting board on Tuesday & now it's Wednesday I've put them together and....nothing.

My electrical prowess has never progressed much further than regarding it as unreliable magic in a box, so despite having a multimeter to hand that's about as far as I can get for diagnosing faults. The manual seems pretty lacking in references to towbar electrics (aka all I can find is a single box to the tune of "make sure the lights work") & the headings in the Haynes manual make me think it won't be too much help either.

My leading guess right now is the dirt in the connection is the issue, but would appreciate any & all suggestions for other things it could be.

Many thanks,

Andy
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 207SW 2009 Towbar Electrical Fault

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

You need to make sure whatever it is you are hooking up to the vehicle electronics is compatible. Modern vehicle electrics have CAN networks and anything attached to CAN wiring must be CAN compatible.

Electrics for Towbar wiring for example should be independently fused and interface with the on-board electrical architecture of the vehicle. Most of the systems PSA sell are vehicle specific and include a trailer fusebox that is designed to integrate into the electrical architecture of the vehicle and protect the sensitive systems.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
AndyThomson

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's a 7-pin lighting board going into the OEM (presumably fitted from factory) 7-pin connection on the towbar, so I would not have thought compatibility would be an issue. If it is likely, do you know how I would go about confirming?

Andy
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

I can't tell you from here on a Forum what has been fitted of course, nor whether it was a factory fitted or official accessory sorry.

I would check so see if there is actually any output from the socket as a first step - is the socket full of crud / corroded?

Marc
AndyThomson

Its a little dirty but nothing horrendous. With the engine running I've not been able to get any output registering on the multimeter, but there's no guarantee I'm using it correctly.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

So you'll need to investigate further then and see how it's all been put together ( 8-[ )

Marc
AndyThomson

Took a fumble the wiring last night & found a connector with a fuse taped to the outside of the block. Stuck it in & all appears to be well!

...except now I'm left curious about why that would have been done in the first place; Could it just be to stop the horrendous beeping that now comes with the indicators (that transported me jarringly back to my childhood in the 90's)?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

... or worse. sounds dodgy to me and makes me wonder why it was disconnected - I'd be very cautious. If it were me I'd be raking it out and putting a proper harness in place.

Marc
AndyThomson

Something of a bird's nest in there, but would at a glance to appear to be splicing into the harness for the rear light cluster logically enough.

Abysmal placing of the (relay?) box for ready access, but I don't imagine you should have to do that too often.
Attachments
P_20230831_093609.jpg
P_20230831_093428.jpg
daviemck2006
Donor 2024

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

I would be tempted to get that looked at by someone who knows what he is doing, such as an auto electrician or the like. It does not look like its factory fitted.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen dispatch 2014
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Unread post by Paul-R »

AndyThomson wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 08:40...except now I'm left curious about why that would have been done in the first place; Could it just be to stop the horrendous beeping that now comes with the indicators (that transported me jarringly back to my childhood in the 90's)?
Do you mean the volume/tone of the beeping that matches the flashing of the indicators? This may be by design.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
AndyThomson

It really doesn't look OEM, does it?? I feel the single fat zip tie syncing most wires into a bundle is the dead giveaway!

The tone is definitely intentional, as you say its the one that times with the indicators, that's quite harsh on the ears & I don't think I've heard since the Nissan Bluebird my dad used to drive got written off when I was about 11!
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Unread post by Paul-R »

Anything with Scotchlock connectors won't be OEM!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Unread post by PaulC5 »

When our C5 is not used for towing I pull the towbar fuses out. The car is not used much and the towbar electrics put a slight drain on the battery. The relays are hidden behind panels so the indicator beeping is not too loud so on the 207 you could try a bit of insulation to muffle the sound. The fuses need to be in for the MOT.