DPF filter, EOLYS liquid??

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonK

DPF filter, EOLYS liquid??

Post by simonK »

If someone can help I got this message from the car diagnostic.
Basically, things started to happen and these error messages appeared after I filled in an almost full tank of diesel fuel with additives, on the gas station, after minute of driving problem appeared.
Now I got the message on the car dashboard that the FAP additive is too low.

What should I do?
Refill the DPF liquid or, I don't know.

The car is a Peugeot 308sw 1,6hdi 2015
VIN VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
Version: 1.99.5/400995/GP
DTC report
Connection profile: Peugeot 308 + AT (CAN)Date: 8/26/2023 10:22:15 AM

Engine control unit#3Engine control unit#3
DTCs: 2
----------------------------
P1445 [0x1445]
Purge Flow Sensor Circuit High Input
Purge flow sensor circuit High input  EDC16C3 - Additive system. Quantity of additive too high.
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
----------------------------
P15B3 [0x15B3]
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory
============================

Thanks in advance to any good soul out there,
Simon
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: DPF filter, EOLYS liquid??

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What 'additives' have you been putting in the fuel tank?

You shouldn't be putting anything in there except fuel and possibly and very occasionally a fuel system cleaner - but nothing else.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

What car do you have? And if you can, put the VIN in to help marc
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
simonK

Post by simonK »

Thanks for helping with this Marc and Ryan!!

I screenshot the car vin number here http://prntscr.com/6SocvPA6nQz
if its not visible here it is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Regarding the additives, I didn't add anything extra I just used the fuel on the gas station with already added additives.
This is what I found about the fuel info on the gasoline supplier website

Also, the car is still driving in great condition with no issues or symptoms.

EUROSUPER 100 CLASS PLUS EXPERT
Eurosuper 100 Class Plus Expert is a high-quality fuel produced in compliance with the European motor petrol standard EN 228. What differs it from other motor petrols available at INA service stations is its octane rating. This is a lead-free motor petrol of the highest octane rating (RON at least 100) intended for all types of vehicles for which manufacturers recommend using high octane motor petrol, and newer-generation motor vehicles in particular (engines with high-pressure fuel injection). It complies with the requirement for restriction of substances in exhaust gases in accordance with the latest EURO requirements.

Eurosuper 100 Class Plus Expert is an advanced fuel formulation designed to protect key parts of the system from build-up. Additives improve fuel properties as the combination of additives contains components that:

Clean the engine and immediately remove any build-ups, keeping the engine clean
Improve fuel combustion and engine performance
Create a protective film on metal surfaces, helping to prevent corrosion of critical components of the fuel system*
Reduce friction between moving engine parts due to increased lubrication
Improve engine power and durability
*Actual effects and benefits may vary depending on the vehicle, vehicle age, conditions and driving style

The fuel may contain up to 5% of ethanol by volume.
Last edited by simonK on 30 Aug 2023, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well I'm not surprised you are having issues if you have put that in your engine - it is classified as PETROL not diesel
EUROSUPER 100 CLASS PLUS EXPERT
Eurosuper 100 Class Plus Expert is a high-quality fuel produced in compliance with the European motor petrol standard EN 228.
petrol.PNG
I think if this is the case, you seriously need to have the fuel tank drained.

Marc
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Oh wow, that would definitely be an issue. If in doubt of what your vehicles fuel is, grab the diesel pump first as it/should be impossible to put diesel into a petrol engine car as the diesel pump is larger in diameter preventing it going into a petrol engine.
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
simonK

Post by simonK »

I must be under heavy stress :)) .. Sorry I misplaced the correct info on used diesel.
Also after refueling, I drove the car some 350km, and the performance was great, much lighter, and more responsive on the gas pedal.

Do I just need to refuel Eloy's fluid, is it just a coincidence that this has happened after refueling on the gas station, I don't know..

Here is the correct info on used fuel, below;

Eurodiesel Class Plus Expert is a top-class fuel based on high-quality fuel that already meets the latest European standards for diesel fuel, and is enriched with additives. This fuel meets all quality requirements in line with the European EN 590 standard and is primarily intended for vehicles with highly efficient catalytic converter systems for the reduction of harmful exhaust gas emissions. Eurodiesel Class Plus Expert protects and maintains engine power with its active protection.
The package of additives for diesel fuel contains components that:
clean valves and nozzles from deposits and keep them clean, which enables high fuel efficiency, and maintains engine power
improve faster fuel ignition and better combustion
reduce fuel consumption
reduce foaming, which enables better fuel efficiency
coat the metal parts of the fuel supply system, protecting them from corrosion
reduce friction between moving parts of the engine
increase oxidation stability during storage
reduce CO2 emissions.
*Actual effects may vary depending on the type and condition of the vehicle’, external conditions, and personal driving style.

Here is the video of the dashboard after I start the car ( need to clean dashboard a little)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9WoU2uKezNiL7u6

It says first
- engineer error, fix your car
Then, second one says
- the danger of clothing the particle filter
and the third one says
- too low level of FAP additive
Last edited by simonK on 31 Aug 2023, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you used diesel - that's fine!

Back to the issues. You have 2 separate issues going on:

1) The Eolys fluid is too low, so that will need topping up and the additive counter resetting using Diagbox ort a professional level diagnostic tool.
2) The Diesel Particulate Filter is starting to clog up. How many Kms has your vehicle done?

If you do short journeys, the vehicle will not have time to warm up and heat the exhaust gasses high enough to regenerate the particle filter. Even with assisted regeneration, the exhaust gasses need to reach 450°C to regenerate. This also assumes you are not stopping and interrupting the process before it can complete. So a long drive at a reasonable speed a few times a month is recommended, but if the 'Risk of Particle Filter Clogging' message appears then you need to drive at 65 KMH for 20 minutes at least to give the vehicle a chance to try and regenerate the filter.

I don't know your vehicle mileage as yet but if it's about 8 years old and if it has done anywhere near 175k KMs then the particulate filter it is coming to the end of service life and will need deep cleaning or replacement.

Marc
simonK

Post by simonK »

Thanks for your help Marc,
yep the vehicle is now near 180k, it's at 169k.

Will drive it to the service guys and arrange a FAP liquid refill, my fingers are crossed it's just that.
Also will ask about the FAP performance and what they recommend I guess.
Im thinking probably the refill will solve the issue at this stage and with longer journeys the FAP will remain clean, although eventually, FAP will need to be cleaned because of ash in it..
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The Eolys additive won't affect the life of the filter, as it is is the Cerine element in the additive, ash and engine deposits that cannot be burned off which eventually clog the filter. It will start regenerating more and more until when the filter becomes 70%+ blocked it can no longer regenerate.

Marc
simonK

Post by simonK »

I resolved the DPF issue this morning.
Was at service where they connected the vehicle to the diagnostic.
It said that the DPF is 100% clogged/full

I guess I was there at like last minute before the car turned into safe mode.

Guys have cleaned the DPF with some special liquid, the whole process took some 1,5h ( coffee time for me :))
After DPF was cleaned, the service guy showed me the diagnostic again where now was 0% clogged.
The car now is much more responsive and has more power.. Very big difference.

I'm just wondering how so that I was unable before to detect myself that the car power has been downgraded, although not in safe mode.
Now I hope it will last and no error will be displayed again any time soon.

Marc, thank you for your advice/help!!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

:-D No problem.

Marc