Crunching Noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ljaw2002uk
My Cars:

Crunching Noise

Post by ljaw2002uk »

Over the last few days, I have noticed my Xantia is making a crunching/clunking noise at lower speeds. This seems worse on bumpy roads, but I get no noise at all when I go over 45/50 MPH. I know it is'nt steering related. I cant work out what it is. Has this happened to anyone else? anyone have any ideas?
Xantia sx 1.9 TD.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Clunking or clonking could be the drop links. On the car they may look and feel OK but for the cost of them new it's worth taking them off and changing. Especially as they would now be 10 years old.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Also possibly rear arm bearings gone or going. Same problems that CX's BX's and XM's had, they do wear out due to going dry, eventually ruining your suspension arm.
ljaw2002uk
My Cars:

Post by ljaw2002uk »

Is this something expensive?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I too have a clonking noise from the front suspension - in my BX that is.
I've been looking and searching for the problem over a couple of weekends now, and finally found the LHS wheel makes a bit of play with a faint knock if I grap on top of the tyre and rock the car violently sidewards.
Seems to be the lower swiveljoint that do this. This is the same type on BX & Xantia.
ljaw2002uk
My Cars:

Post by ljaw2002uk »

So lets say for arguments sake you are right, what should I do? Is this an expensive job to do? and is it safe for me to keep driving the car?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Un-usual noise from suspension is always a MOT issue, as it will develop to dangerous wear, parts possibly coming apart at some point.
If you dont have DIY resources, it's time to book in your car for investigation of the problem.