ZX - Electric windows....???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MrShades
My Cars:

ZX - Electric windows....???

Post by MrShades »

I have a problem with my ZX electric windows.
The passenger window appears to have dropped half an inch, and refuses to wind all the way up. It was intermittent, but now does it all the time. I think this may be a stretched cable - though not sure. It goes up all the way if I pull it up, physically, the half inch and then wind it the rest of the way.
This I could live with, but this afternoon whilst winding the drivers window down - it got most of the way and then 'dropped' and now refuses to go up or down. It's stuck down, all the way. Glass just visible in the fully down position. Motor still appears to work as I can hear it winding. I'm guessing the cable has snapped...
Does anyone know (a) whether these problems are probably cable related, and (b) where I can get cables from (can you get just the cable from the GSF - I searched but found nothing - or Citroen dealers??), and further (c) how easy it is to replace the flippin things (any online guides would be much appreciated - I can't find anything!)
Is the entire mechanism an easier and cost effective fix?
Any help and advice much appreciated. Off to get the doors apart in readiness...
Many thanks
Adrian
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Just to get you throught until you get the bit's take off the inside trim panel and push the window up. Put a jubilee clip around the window gutter / chanel and do up tight. This will stop the window falling down as you drive. As for a repair. I don't think you can buy just the cable. Saying that I once managed to repair a Rover 620 window winder cable by completley taking apart and over about 6 hours managed to replace the cable with that from the front brake off my old bike. Once on the bench it's not that complecated to look at just fix.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

The zx electric windows are a total and utter joke, even more so on 3 door ones considering the size of the glass. Theres basically a runner in the centre and a plastic thing that wraps around this and has 2 tiny bits of plastic sticking out that clamp the window. These take the entire strain of the heavy glass! This is where they normall break of they just sieze up.
I think you will find that its this clip bit that has gone on yours. You cant buy it seperatly and have to get the whole thing including motor, last time i looked GSF only stocked ones for 5 door zx's at £60+, citroen quoted me about £80 for a 3 door one. Other option is one from a scrap yard but make sure it works and the plastic bit isnt broken at all also get one from a car with the same number of doors as yours as they are different
MrShades
My Cars:

Post by MrShades »

Thanks all...
I have located the problem to two things:
1) Snapped cable, just above the plastic window mount
2) On taking the motor / winder apart (why rivet the damn thing together?) I found that the central cog/winder was snapped across the centre. Obviously still working, just, but knackered anyway.
Citroen want (wait for it) 170 quid plus VAT for each window. Considerably more expensive than the 5 door version.
Breakers only seem to have 5 door units, as do GSF / 0000000000.
I've now managed to source pattern new units - complete - for 75 plus VAT each, from Bradgate Motors in Rotherham - http://www.bradgatemotors.co.uk/ They do a mail-order service, so I've just ordered both sides for about 186 quid.
Not cheap - but new units that should get my windows back into full working order. Good overhaul with lube and they should be fine.
What a crap mechanism though. Simple and cheap I guess....
Adrian