308CC Cluster removal

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ChrisRobin

308CC Cluster removal

Post by ChrisRobin »

Hi All
End of this week I will be removing the cluster from our 308cc as it is going to Autotronics for back light repair, my question is I know I have to disconnect the battery for removal, We are then away for 2 weeks whilst the cluster is also on hols in Autotronics, which leaves the 308 with no cluster in my garage for the 2 weeks we are away, will it be ok to leave the vehicle that amount of time with out power, I am thinking of keys and starting it when the cluster goes back in, I could reconnect the battery but with no cluster in but is that going to cause me issues as the BSi won't be able to "see" the cluster as it will be in a box in my porch so when the cluster goes back in I am going to get lights on everywhere.
I am trying to figure out the best plan of action for it. Oh it is the matrix type of cluster if that makes a difference.
Battery left disconnected for 2 weeks.
Battery Connected with no cluster (not driven just left) for 2 weeks.
Basically we land at midnight on a Sunday, plan is to pop cluster back in on the Monday morn and off to work... hopefully.
Anyone got any thoughts on which way to go.
Thanks.
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 308CC Cluster removal

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just follow the disconnection part of the BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure and remove / disconnect the battery. If disconnecting only, ensure the terminals are isolated from everything and can't make contact.

This will be fine to leave, the BSI will sleep. Just make sure you reattach the cluster first then follow the reconnection and fob initialisation part of the BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure.

Your car battery will obviously discharge over this period somewhat, so it may be a good idea to charge it up before reconnecting it on your return.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Thanks Mark
I was leaning toward leaving it off more than reconnection, so thanks for the confirmation, I was rather worried about the reconnection with out the cluster as I know BSi talks to it on start-up and probably reconnection as well and cluster would not be there so I felt it would give me more issues when the cluster arrives back home and it drive time, my main worry about leaving disconnected was residual power to the sleeping systems and they may "forget" settings if you know what I mean.
So I am happy to follow your advice.
Thanks.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

If by cluster you mean just a rear light, I do not see why you would want to disconnect the battery when you remove the light. Any lights I have removed it was just a case of removing it from the car and unplugging its wiring connector, then the reverse when fitting it back.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, not the rear lights - he's talking about the instrument cluster. By 'back light' he means the lighting at the back of the instrument cluster..... :wink:

Marc
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Instrument Cluster PaulC5 sorry, Marc is spot on, should of been a bit more clear, I suppose I don't see rear lamps as clusters just rear lamps, my fault! :oops:
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

All Done, Autotronics replaced ALL the LED chips and got it back to us in less than a week all for £118, wee bit better than £1500 the dealer wanted for a new Cluster plus coding, although I personally would of just swapped the matrix over as it that's bit that need the coding so the Dealer tells me.
Bit worried about the battery disconnected for two weeks whilst we were in Portugal, but plugged it all in this morning and off it went like clock work so happy with that not a single issue.

:offtopic:
The hire car we had in Portugal was a 2008 1.2 Active, is that a 3 cylinder, Sixt guy had no idea it sounded like it was up hill but it very rare laboured Parkers don't give a cylinder config for them, What car want me to sign up, but it was a lovely drive and quite pokey for a 1.2 it surprised the both of us, hers being a 308cc 2.0 Hdi and mine a Meg cc 1.9 DCi , once you got use to the tyre wall give which we don't have on either of ours it was a real nice drive indeed, way better than last years 1.2 T-Roc 3 cylinder we had last year better drive, more power, better hill climbing , more acceleration, and better fuel economy made the T-Roc feel like a lump of German junk to be honest.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for the update - you were better off with a repair, as I suspect the matrix will contain the ECU with the mileage record that is shared between this and the BSI - so if you swapped it over with a used one with higher mileage, your car would take on the new mileage... :wink:

Marc
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Oh Marc I have done much reading on it over the past year it has blown my mind, can't use petrol dials on a diesel, can't use KM from abroad has to be mph, the BSI and the Cluster matrix talk to each other and will take the higher millage, ok if the dials have less then 55k on them as the BSi has 55650 something like that so it will update the dials, if the dials have 80k on them the BSi will take that and all of a sudden the car now has 80k on it non reversible I believe unless you pay an awful lot of money. A nightmare, did think about RCZ but they are silver main dials and white fuel/temp dials but again with less than 55k on them very expensive indeed and it if did not work a lot of money lost, RCZ seems to be the only model you can get matrix screens on, I don't think they did many 308's well not in the UK anyway as in 12 months I have yet to find a complete white set with the large matrix screen, so it would have to be a new set, at £1500 that the one I would of swapped the matrix on as well as the higher millage would of been the BSi and the matrix has all the coding in so the Peugeot dealers tell me.
But no more worries, all done and the reboot after 2 weeks with no battery power went surprisingly easy and quickly, I thought I might get some issues as the window had to be almost up and battery disconnected to keep it in that position, then taped up to keep water out, car door locked with key, off on holibobs, and then un-tape, unlock, connect cluster, shut door, connect battery and....... oh it all went ok, keys initialized ok, windows work, doors lock, starts fine, no lights on..... well apart from the ones you want to see.
Roof off and off to work, Caro Emerald on the stereo, wind blowing in my hair and a great feeling of accomplishment!
NOW I just have to fix my Renault CC, who has decided in Manchester airport to stop pulling its boot lid down when it was picked up, which is fine boot still shuts and locks, down side ROOF wont work! and after a wash out July the sun is now out, and Megan doesn't want to go topless, thanks! so I will watch everyone passing with their roofs off and not feel so accomplished now, AND WORSE the wife will come home, lid off, was going to say topless but we all might get the wrong idea :oops: and she will have to tell me how wonderful it is knowing Megan is saying non, un toit pour toi monsieur
Last edited by ChrisRobin on 04 Sep 2023, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

:rofl2:

Many models have Matrix display now including my Aircross - but they are available in a basic LCD version or a full colour version depending on options / equipment. :wink:

Glad you have it sorted.

Marc
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Oh No not a posh Colour one, just red on black LCD, does all the Compass and road name thing she likes, does she ever use it... no, also has nav does she use it no, but she has it set to 3d as it looks impressive..... what does she use, well the media system with an SD card full of albums, oh and the Bluetooth more recently as she keeps ringing me on the way home from work to tell me she is ringing me from her car!
Only taken 12 months to get this far, I believe this vehicle has voice commands as I started the learning process but stopped as it is her car, and still hasn't got the cruise control idea yet even thought it is the same as her old 307cc.
Do you what drives me nuts with it, the electric seats, to put something on the back seat you wait ages with your finger on the seat button as it returns to its programmed position once the back rest is in place, if it is raining you get soaked.... :-x
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris, I do enjoy your posts :D Keep 'm coming ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Thanks Jim

Now heres a thing, before my current Meg CC I had the older Mk2 which had the Carminat DVD navigation, which put up on the small HUD top centre of dash, a rather small red on black thick direction arrows, usually 90degree left/right for turns, straight up pointed on for keep going, circle with marks on and and arrow for roundabout with exit etc, My wife use to take the mick out of it and calling it "oh Very 70's"
Oh how things have changed now, as her 308cc in the Cluster matrix DOES THE SAME THING! you get your colour maps and directions etc on the pop up screen, but it also shows you a condensed version in red on black with thick arrows in that matrix....... But guess what that's great, look what it does when you set nav, how cool is that (I was driving at the time and wanted it to take me to Llandudno 30 mins down the road to see how it worked)
Most annoying thing with the NG4 nav, it wont let me save my home address, it knows I am on Ffordd Y Graig it says so in the Matrix, but it wont let me "save this point" it does not do that like TomTom you have to input your post code well the 1st part of it into the address book, once it has your street you can then save as home, easy...... no! it wants to put my home in either Colwyn Bay or Abergele, NO No No, I am not moving house because you don't know were I live, but you know were you are according to the matrix as you have given me my street name plus to add insult to injury the little nav arrow on the pop up screen is on my street as well, Colwyn Bay postcodes as far as I am aware don't even start LL22, they are up around LL29, Fuming, so I make sure I remind her of that small fact when she is asking if my TomTom in the meg does 3D, NO is still doesn't but is knows were I live, which is more than yours does.
MMmm one - nil to me! :bd:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A great reason to be very cautious about allowing machines to assume too much responsibility for our wellbeing Chris ;)

I enjoyed reading that wearing a wry smile and feeling your pain...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...