TZD lousy brakes and click click

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oilyspanner
My Cars:

TZD lousy brakes and click click

Post by oilyspanner »

Hello all, it never rains but sometimes it pours, my BX TZD is making an hydraulic click every five seconds or so, The Acc sphere is new, the LHM is fresh as are the filters, the brakes are also dead feeling (At least compared to all of my other BXs though it is the first ABS one I have owned) Also yesterday it gave me a nasty moment when it refused to stop! I was pressing the brake pedal, there seemed to be nothing happening at the rear, the fronts breifly locked then the ABS worked, turned out it had blown off the small return from the regulator unit and lubricated a couple of miles of road with fresh LHM?
Any ideas chaps???
Stewart[:(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

DRAT [B)]
When a servo steering BX trashes the small return pipe from the PR, then you dead sure have the reputed FDV problem [:(!]
- meaning overhauling or replacing the FDV [8]
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

FDV?
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Mine used to push the return pipe off when I had a duff accumulator.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ItDontGo</i>

FDV?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Flow Diverter Valve; apportions the flow from the pump to the power steering and/or everything else
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Thanks for the prompt replies chaps, I have a few FDVs in the pile.
Anders, are BX FDVs all the same? I have two power steering ones from older 1987/88 cars, will they fit my 1993 model?
Stewart
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I know of some pattern types around, but pipe connections and function should be 100% identical.
Either remove your radiator or protect it by cardboard during work.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Anders, I assume that the Flow Diverter is the one with two ports in the top and three ports at the bottom, held on with two M7 bolts that run transversely,sitting just alonside the block that the accumulator sphere screws into I have replaced that item with one from my old BX which was working well when dismantled, steering is heavier, brakes not much better, however it hasnt blown that pipe off again! have I replaced the wrong bit?, has the bit I put on got a problem too? confused?
Stewart
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes, that's the FDV allright.
Since you still have problems with a known good FDV fitted, I'd suspect the pump being weak then. Please ensure the large diameter rubber feed hose for the pump is really tight on pump & reservoir studs, and this hose does not appear to have surface cracks.
The pump feed hose is under vacuum and prone to leak, thus making the pump taking in air, making for a weak pump output pressure.
Since your PR (pressure regulator with accu sphere fitted) does in fact emit the usual ticks, this shows the pump is able to deliver at least the upper limit (cut-out) pressure of 170bar.
Note that hyd pumps for BX'es are different (can NOT be swapped) on diesel and petrol engines, because of the mounting differences on engine block or gearbox.
Even the petrol 16V & diesel pumps do not match, despite both are gearbox mounted.
Still having the 5 seconds clikcs ? - as then I'd still suspect the accu sphere - or the PR itself (the reputed BB valve re-seating problem by Jeremy).
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Anders, thanks for the rapid reply, I will change the pump next with one of my spares, the surprising thing for me is that this car is the newest,lowest mileage BX I have ever owned! I an beginning to agree with you about the pump pick up pipe and will closely investigate its condition (refer to previous posting LHM mousse)
Stewart
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Get that hosepipe out...and pinch a couple of feet of it! It'll do as a temporary measure (although some people have left it as a near-permanent fix!)
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Thanks for the assistance, Well, I have now driven it and....its worse, pushing the small return pipe off regularly, power steering worse, will examine/swap/refit hose and replace fdv again with fresher one at least I think its helped diagnose my problem.
Stewart
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Eureka, it was caused by catastrophic failure of the acc sphere which was only 2 weeks old, compounded by a suspect bit on the low pressure line from pump to reservoir causing a small air leak, fixed with 15mm copper tube and hose clips, took the opportunity of hitting the ball behind Acc sphere with punch made from old mig nozzle and punch.clicks over a minute apart;)
Stewart
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Eureka, it was caused by catastrophic failure of the acc sphere which was only 2 weeks old, compounded by a suspect bit on the low pressure line from pump to reservoir causing a small air leak, fixed with 15mm copper tube and hose clips, took the opportunity of hitting the ball behind Acc sphere with punch made from old mig nozzle and punch.clicks over a minute apart;)
Stewart