DS5 spare wheel storage compatibility

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Big Dave

DS5 spare wheel storage compatibility

Post by Big Dave »

Hi all,
Hope someone can help answer these 2 questions for me.
My car came from the factory with the puncture repair option in the boot.
Is it possible to retro fit a space saver spare underneath with carrier,winch etc. My car is fitted with an adblue tank (2015 2ltr hdi blu dsport. VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] ).
Also, my tyre size is 235/45R18 so what size space saver wheel should I buy as the ones on the Internet all seem to be listed as 17inch.
I've always had a spare on my previous cars and enjoyed the peace of mind that gives you.
Thanks in advance.
Dave
DS5 dsport blue hdi 2ltr diesel Auto 2015.
No job too small, no hammer too big 😁
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: DS5 spare wheel storage compatibility

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Probably not, that's why they have some models with the inflator option because of lack of room.

It's the same as the Hybrid versions - these too obviously have no room for a spare as they require space for the traction battery.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Thanks Marc nice one 👍
Mares

Post by Mares »

My DS5 has a space for spare wheel but came with repair kit, I was thinking to buy spare wheel as I wanted to feel more safe in case one of tires goes off, but believe me repair kit is really great option, specifically air compressor. I had numerous times tire goes flat and used compressors for inflation, which is more convenient and quick solution than changing complete tire. No matter how big hole in tire is, with such inflation you will have enough time (several hours, even days, depending of the hole size) to go to service and repair that tire.

The only point where repair kit is useless is if you cut side wall of tire, this is where only spare wheel could help, but how likely this will occur is questionable.

My vote goes to repair kit (air compressor mandatory) than to spare wheel.
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

It definitely can't be added with an Ablue tank. Perhaps it could be possible otherwise, even then possibly involving major modification.

The DS5 is based on the same platform as many other Peugeots and Citroens, including the Berlingo. Here's a photo showing the underside of my (non-Adblue) Berlingo and DS5. Besides how incredibly similar they are, you can also see that the Adblue tank on the DS5 is right where the spare wheel is on the Berlingo...
Comparison.jpg
It's difficult to judge depth, but my assessment is that the lowest part of the tank (the bottom left as viewed) is only slightly less low than the spare wheel, using the shock absorber as comparison, so there's definitely no space for a wheel under it. Just look under the back of yours, judge for yourself whether there's space, the answer's no!

By the way, the original purpose of this photo was to show the difference between the older Berlingo that's mostly lived on the south coast, and the newer DS5 that's mostly lived in Scotland but is rustier. Both have now been smothered in Waxoyl so hopefully preserved for a bit longer.
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
One last question if anyone can advise re a space saver wheel, can I use a 17inch space saver while my standard wheels are 18inch (235/45R18)?
Attachments
20230128_101701.jpg