306xrdt rev counter intermittant

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pash999
My Cars:

306xrdt rev counter intermittant

Post by pash999 »

can anyone help? I have a 306 xrdt '93 and over the past few weeks
the rev counter has taken a while to start working.
at first in was a mile or so , now its about twenty.
when it starts working it jumps up and down usaully reading higher than it should, then once its settled down its fine.
any ideas where to start looking?
pash999
My Cars:

Post by pash999 »

help!!
ive been watching mesages and does anyone know if my tacho fault could be the same as the one "306 tacho" if so where is the sensor located?
please help.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, most likely to be the sensor. Its located on the rear side of the engine, only really accessible from underneath. If you lay underneath the car, look above the diff and slightly to the right, you should see the cable and sensor. Its held in with a plastic clamp and 8mm (I think) bolt. It points to the engine side of the flywheel.
pash999
My Cars:

Post by pash999 »

thanks i'll give it a go tomorrow
Diesel Power
My Cars:

Post by Diesel Power »

I think you will find it is the connections behind the counter itself...my 306xtdt had the exact same problem and it eventually stopped working altogether until one day I gave it a slap on top of the clocks and it jumped back into life (for a short while!!), I did take it apart and fix it in the end.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

try losening sensor clamp and moving sensor closer to flywheel so airgap is smaller if no good then 9 times out of 10 its the sensor :wink: