Xantia Brake pedal - getting lower & lower !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trackrod
My Cars:

Xantia Brake pedal - getting lower & lower !

Post by trackrod »

'Have always been happy with my Xantia - until that is, my Son borrowed it for the day. "That brake pedal's a bit low" he said, "I had to feel around before I found the blessed brake!!"
I dismissed his remark intitially (what does he know?) but he's right!
The brake pedal is getting lower and lower. The stopping power still seems OK but the pedal is about an inch lower then the clutch!
I've had a look through the "Haynes" manual for adjustment, but it doesn't even mention the brake pedal height,
Can anyone help with this one????
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It sounds like it is in the right spot to me. Are you sure it's not the clutch that has come up?
As far as I know there is no adjustment for the brake pedal.
What does your son usually drive?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The brake pedal IS indeed low - or if you like it - the clutch pedal is high [8D]
That's how it is on Citroens.
No adjustments exists for the brake pedal height.
If the pedal has a long "dead" travel, then it's either the spring pushrod or the brake doseur valve at fault - if not simply the pedal box or chassis.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

I thought that happened to one of my BXs once. I did have two at the time however and so I may have been mistaking where the pedal was between the two. I had the impression though that I jammed it into the floor one day and it never fully came back up again.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

I get this problem when my carpeted mat rides up behind the pedals - quite scary when you go for the brake pedal and find it's not there... Something simple like that, maybe?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ItDontGo</i>

I thought that happened to one of my BXs once. I did have two at the time however and so I may have been mistaking where the pedal was between the two. I had the impression though that I jammed it into the floor one day and it never fully came back up again.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I once managed to bend the brake pedal in half on an early BX (don't ask [:I], the steel was quite soft and I've got big feet).
I've never heard of this on a Xantia though, but as Anders says, its perfectly normal for a Xantia brake pedal to be much lower than the other pedals.
Nick
trackrod
My Cars:

Post by trackrod »

Hi everyone - thankyou for the prompt responses.
I've had a second look at the problem - especially the thought that it might well be the clutch pedal that is high.
I don't think so. The brake pedal seems to sit very low. If I lift the pedal there is quite a lot of free travel (upwards!) about an inch and a half.
In reply to Homer - what car does my son usually drive? - answer, anything he can get his hands on!! - but more often, a Renault 21.
Ihm Leak - I've had the same problem with the carpet! 'Bought a new set for the Driver and passenger wells (They weren't Citroen and were a bit too long) Didn't effect the passenger side of course, but often the one on the driver's side would creep up and sit under the brake pedal ! Solved it by slicing off a 2 inch strip.
I'll see if I can find someone local who has a Xantia - just so that I can put my mind at rest. I'll let you know what I find.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Where is local?It would be good if we knew what area everybody is from,that way sometimes people could get together to compare cars/problems.Except Anders of course!!!