rear light connector

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

woody-som

rear light connector

Post by woody-som »

I'm currently fitting a towbar to my 98 306 estate.
The wiring details supplied differ from the car, and the haynes book is also different.
according to the book it should have a 7 way connector, but I don't it's 5 way for the rear righthand lighting.
Does anyone know what the 5 cable do.
pin 3 is a Green cable with yellow ring, so guess earth.
pin 5 is Brown
what does pins 1,2 and 4 do?
Chris
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
You might find the LEFT hand one is the 7 way connector, Ive no idea what the pin/wires do without the proper drawing.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Knowing the way the french do things, the 306 could be the same as a BX; a 7-way goes to the left hand lamp cluster; a 5-way plug then goes from that one to the RH one...
At least yours are colour coded; on a BX it's an all-black ribbon-type cable!
woody-som

Post by woody-som »

thanks guys.
I thought of this, but no luck, still a 5 way connector.
The cable ID numbers don't even match the haynes manual for the pre or post 97 models. f-ing french :D
three of the cbale in the right hand conector are red, and 3 in the left are yellow, now how stupid is that, not much better Phil than the BX.
think i'll hace to turn the ligts on, and use the meter pushed in the pins to see what is what.
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Bought my 306 2 years ago with a towbar installed. Didn't realise that the last owner hadn't bothered wiring the lights until towing a trailer one day and couldn't work out why its lights didn't come on at all. Looking in the boot the cable came up through the floor and was neatly coiled away and not connected to anything!!
So after 2 years on my to do list I finally got it done last weekend. Stupidly started connecting the cable to the loom at the left hand side (as that was how to do it in my last car) then couldn't find out which one was the right hand indicator. I realised the big loom from the front went to the right side and a smaller one went across the boot to the left.
Once I got going on that side it was fine. Used one of those things that look like screwdriver with a sharp point, a bulb in the handle and a wire with a crocodile clip on the end. The earth wire was the thickest one - green with yellow spots. Then fixed the crocodile clip to an handy clean bolt head and then probed each wire with the appropriate light switched on to find the one with current. I had the diagram for the lighting plug which told me which wire was which, and just used scotchblocks.
And yes, I did notice the colours of the wiring in the car loom made no sense at all...... I had tried to work it out from the Haynes manual diagrams but got nowhere.