Keyless door handles

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave coops

Keyless door handles

Post by Dave coops »

Hi I've got a 2014 508gt 2.2 HDi. I have had diagbox connected up and it's got B1836 fault code transponder aerial fault permanent. Can anyone help me solve this problem many thanks Dave.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Keyless door handles

Post by RichardW »

Welcome along.

Assume you are having trouble with the keyless entry not working? Can you still start it?
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Do you have your VIN as the fault code has different meaning for different systems and usually has another 2 digits on the end (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).

The fault as it stands is for mechanical keys, which you won't have if it's keyless entry and starting. So it may be one of the internal aerials for the keyless system dotted about the vehicle. So if you can get the other part of the code it may help.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Dave coops

Post by Dave coops »

Hi thanks for replying. The car starts OK and just problem with keyless entry vin is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. I will have to scan again to see if there is more digets on fault code regards Dave.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you're a digit short in that VIN.

Marc
Dave coops

Post by Dave coops »

Hi I've just double checked Vin in windscreen and it's VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] 17 Digets.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes I realise that, but you have only provided 16 in both posts ^

Marc
Dave coops

Post by Dave coops »

Hi rescanned car again code is B1836 00,and Vin is definitely VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's more like it - you missed the '2' out from the last 3 on your last posts.....

Marc
Dave coops

Post by Dave coops »

Hi only front left door works on keyless locking and unlocking, all doors and boot lock with fob, both fobs batterys replaced. Any idea's
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so without any other part of the code it can only be the following B183600:
Fault Code: B1836 00
Description of Fault: Transponder aerial fault. Detection of an open circuit on the transponder aerial, or aerial disconnected. The time for recording the fault code is 20 milliseconds.
Conditions of activation of the diagnostics: In all operating situations except starting phase.
Conditions for Fault to clear: No fault detected on the transponder aerial.
The fault disappears after 20 ms
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active: -
Symptoms:
  • Starting problem (Vehicle with mechanical key)
Suspect Areas:
  • Switch module at the steering wheel
  • Electrical harness
  • Transponder aerial
As you don't have a transponder aerial for a physical mechanical key to start the car, it will have to be one of the three likely issues shown in the suspect areas.

You didn't say what the actual problem was, but I'm assuming you can gain access to the car and also start it hands free. If you do have an issue starting it in future, you will have to hold the fob near the emergency panel usually located on the side of the steering column to start it.

There are 3 aerials, front, centre and rear located in the vehicle and act as detection zones for the fob. Now seeing as the front passenger door does open, then it seems to me that it is your driver's door handle unit that has failed, otherwise the aerial would not be detecting the handle touch when opening the passenger door if it was one of the actual aerials.

So I think you will likely need a new control module inside the driver's front door - but I'd get this confirmed by Peugeot.

Marc
Dave coops

Post by Dave coops »

Hi Marc so you think it is actually the drivers door handle with the 2 wire plug on it, is there anyway I can test it with multi meter many thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm not sure to be honest, but from other owners with DS5s and the like. it seems when their hands free driver side door lock has failed, a new module has resolved it.

Marc
Dave coops

Post by Dave coops »

Hi Marc do you know what the part number is for the switch module, and what do i have to do to gain access to it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'd first get it diagnosed by Peugeot to make sure it is the control or the door handle as I can't be 100% sure if there are any electronics or a bad sensor in the handle part.

It is quite involved too, as the door card has to come off with all the trim before that to get inside and access.

Marc