ZX 16v gear link problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JayP

ZX 16v gear link problem

Post by JayP »

Has anyone come accross a problem with a ZX 16v gear linkage.
I was being a bit brisk through the gears this morning round a round about and now changing gear is like stiring a bucket of spare engine parts. It's useable and there doesn't seem to be any complaints or noises from the gearbox itself once in gear.
I'm thinking it's a linkage issues as the stick has a lot of forward and backward play once in gear and it's really tough to find the left and right gate.
Anyone come accross anything similar?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think the 16V uses the same 'box as the TD in which case you have broken the metallastic bush on the end of the upper, long link onto the back of the box. If you look down the back of the gearbox it will be obvious. Cheap apparently from Citroen, but I tried to disengage the one on my car so I could take the mechanism out and gave up. One guy uses a crowbar and lump hammer, another has suggest a 12mm open ended spanner under the ball joint, with a mole grip or similar to act as a pivot point.
If it has almost let go, then total failure is probably not far behind, and that will leave you unable to select any gears.... (and it will probably be stuck in reverse!)
JayP

Post by JayP »

Fixed!
Cheers Richard, it was the linkage behind the battery. The loan of a boiler suit and some mole grips sorted the problem over lunch.[:)]