405 TD gearchange

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

topper

405 TD gearchange

Post by topper »

I have just bought a 1994 405 TD Estate which has a very "floppy" gearchange. I had intended to replace all the linkages,etc. but on dismantling them I found them all to be in reasonable condition with no apparent signs of undue wear. This also applies to the 'ball and socket'assembly mounted on the steering rack. I have also checked the engine mountings, etc. to make sure none of them have collapsed, and I am now at a loss what to check next. Could anyone advise me what to look for next? (It's possible that what I might consider to be acceptable wear or play might just be enough to cause problems- perhaps someone could advise?)
Thanks in advance.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Are you sure the ball & sockets are ok?
You will be amazed how much better the gear change is when they are replaced.
Just had mine done on my 405 & it changes gear like a different car!
Take the VIN number to a Peugeot dealer to get the right link rods if you change them, there are lots of different combinations.
topper

Post by topper »

Thanks, PowerLee- that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for. I didn't want to just go changing parts if it wasn't going to make any difference.
Now you have eased my mind I haven't got a problem with changing the whole linkage system if it's going to make as much difference as you say (Good tip re the VIN number too- could have been easy to get that wrong!)
Thanks again.