2009 C5 Android Head Unit Install

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Werd75

2009 C5 Android Head Unit Install

Post by Werd75 »

Hey guys. Just bought a 2009 C5 and would like to swap the stereo out for an Android headunit. I haven't been able to find any information except for this page over here in Australia. It still doesn't tell me what exactly is required so would like more info if anyone could help.

https://aerpro.com/vehicles/citroen/cit ... -2005-2010#

Cheers
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 2009 C5 Android Head Unit Install

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We don't support aftermarket kits, so you'll have to have a look in the various telematics Forums here to see what other members have done.

Depending on what system you have already installed, be prepared to lose functionality of systems and control of some features with an aftermarket unit.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Werd75

Post by Werd75 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 10:46 We don't support aftermarket kits, so you'll have to have a look in the various telematics Forums here to see what other members have done.

Depending on what system you have already installed, be prepared to lose functionality of systems and control of some features with an aftermarket unit.
Cheers Mate.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

It will depend on your car & spec but yes you may loose some features but the gains may well outweigh them. Eg you might loose the parking sensors but may gain a camera, i know what i would rather have.
I fitted a Chinese Android unit to my 4007 & i Gained :-
USB & aux in for music
Bluetooth music streaming
Reversing camera
Built in updateable offline navigation (can also use Google & apple maps)
Apple carplay emulation (wireless)
all the other use of android apps so i can even link my dash cams in via the android apps.
This is all with full use of the steering wheel controls & voice control.

What did i loose? My CD player. As I havent used CD's for about 10 years this wasnt even a tiny bit of an issue for me
Werd75

Post by Werd75 »

wheeler wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 16:19 It will depend on your car & spec but yes you may loose some features but the gains may well outweigh them. Eg you might loose the parking sensors but may gain a camera, i know what i would rather have.
USB & aux in for music
Reversing camera
all the other use of android apps so i can even link my dash cams in via the android apps.
What did i loose? My CD player. As I havent used CD's for about 10 years this wasnt even a tiny bit of an issue for me
Cheers mate. What wiring harness adaptor and steering wheel adaptor did you use?
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Just used the harness that came with the kit. You order them for your model so the come with the correct surround & harness. Most stuff is done via the CAN. The steering wheel controls are fully programmable, you just configure it on screen the first time you set it up. You can even change the buttons to do different things.
Werd75

Post by Werd75 »

wheeler wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 10:37 Just used the harness that came with the kit. You order them for your model so the come with the correct surround & harness. Most stuff is done via the CAN. The steering wheel controls are fully programmable, you just configure it on screen the first time you set it up. You can even change the buttons to do different things.
Where abouts did you purchase it from? Im in Australia and we have a company that makes kits called Aeropro. Here is there page for my model car. They have multiple different connectors but not sure which ones are correct.

https://aerpro.com/vehicles/citroen/cit ... -2005-2010#-
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

That website confuses me. The drawing at the top of the page shows what we would call the C5 X7, or Mk3, model while the two photos show the Mk2, or Face-lift, model.

In addition we reckon that the Mk2 ran from 2005 to 2008 and the X7(with various different radio head ends) ran from 2008 until finished.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Werd75

Post by Werd75 »

Paul-R wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 07:42 That website confuses me. The drawing at the top of the page shows what we would call the C5 X7, or Mk3, model while the two photos show the Mk2, or Face-lift, model.

In addition we reckon that the Mk2 ran from 2005 to 2008 and the X7(with various different radio head ends) ran from 2008 until finished.

So It turns out my car is a 2006 not 2009. So is a mk2. It was Built November 2004 but only Got the Australian Plate put on in February 2009 when it was first licensed. I searched the Citroen VIN Site and it says she is "2006, Deep Red, C5 4DR Sedan SX HDi Auto"

So would that make more sense as to what I would need from that site?
citroC5
(Donor 2022)

Post by citroC5 »

wheeler wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 16:19 It will depend on your car & spec but yes you may loose some features but the gains may well outweigh them. Eg you might loose the parking sensors but may gain a camera, i know what i would rather have.
USB & aux in for music
Reversing camera

I've been nosing around trying to find answers for Android HU installs specifically for a C5 X7 for ages, so I hope you don't mind me asking some things.

The main thing I have been trying to understand is how do you actually install it? Does it work with the old radio, for example, and only replace the screen or do you have to remove the old radio as well?

I know these sound basic but no video shows things like this, and I haven't risked getting a Chinese HU because of the lack of the most basic of information.
Milordas

Post by Milordas »

citroC5 wrote: 17 Jun 2023, 12:33
USB & aux in for music
Reversing camera

I've been nosing around trying to find answers for Android HU installs specifically for a C5 X7 for ages, so I hope you don't mind me asking some things.

The main thing I have been trying to understand is how do you actually install it? Does it work with the old radio, for example, and only replace the screen or do you have to remove the old radio as well?

I know these sound basic but no video shows things like this, and I haven't risked getting a Chinese HU because of the lack of the most basic of information.
I'm considering installing android radio as well. I did a little research and it seems that you will not have have the old radio and cd changer. Android tablet fits in the old screen place with some plastic cover. It should look like one in the picture.

Buttons on steering wheel will work, but you will need to assign them in new android radio settings.

I think you can leave old radio in place, but it surely won't work as all connectors will go to android radio. One thing that stops me from buying it is that I can't find some plastic covers to fill the empty space (you can see it in the picture) from the old radio.
Attachments
Adbc67faec17742ea900e171595b7d15eZ.jpg
citroC5
(Donor 2022)

Post by citroC5 »

Milordas wrote: 19 Jun 2023, 08:45 I'm considering installing android radio as well. I did a little research and it seems that you will not have have the old radio and cd changer. Android tablet fits in the old screen place with some plastic cover. It should look like one in the picture.

Buttons on steering wheel will work, but you will need to assign them in new android radio settings.

I think you can leave old radio in place, but it surely won't work as all connectors will go to android radio. One thing that stops me from buying it is that I can't find some plastic covers to fill the empty space (you can see it in the picture) from the old radio.
Yes, I know what you mean. I have been trying to find a slot for that, and I've looked around the forum for the reference but I can't find it (and I don't want to bother Marc with something so trivial). If push comes to shove, I will have to see if I can 3D-print something for the slot, though I'd rather have the OEM solution
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@citroC5: That's not a problem, are these the fittings you are thinking of?
console fittings.PNG
(4) Floor Console Face (Nero Mistral), part: 7589ZW.
(6) Floor Console Storage Compartment Nero Mistral), part: 7589YQ.
(19) Dashboard Storage Compartment (Black Cornelie), part: 16089498ZD.

Note that in the second photo in the post above, that fitting was for vehicles on the last production run fitted with the 7" Touchscreen, where the head unit is inside the fascia and the switch block controls for some functions are moved either side of the compartment.

Marc
citroC5
(Donor 2022)

Post by citroC5 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 19 Jun 2023, 09:28 @citroC5: That's not a problem, are these the fittings you are thinking of?

(4) Floor Console Face (Nero Mistral), part: 7589ZW, part: 7589ZW
(6) Floor Console Storage Compartment Nero Mistral), part: 7589YQ
(19) Dashboard Storage Compartment (Black Cornelie), part: 16089498ZD.
Yes, that's it :!: Thanks!

Problem is, they're nigh-on impossible to find anywhere
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You can buy these direct from Citroen - the above are the official part numbers. They won't be cheap though...

7589ZW: £91.36
7589YQ: £110.60
16089498ZD: £55.08

UK prices inc. 20% VAT

Marc