citroen c5 x7 front spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

verdi
Donor 2023

citroen c5 x7 front spheres

Post by verdi »

Hi all
I'm new in the forum, however looked at the fantastic advises here.
I bought mine C5 X7 2011 1.6 THP engine 110k 3 months ago.
I am going to replace all the spheres so I have a few questions-
Regarding the access to the center front sphere - what is the best -easy way to replace it? anybody have pictures or video ?
Any priority which sphere to be replace first?
Should I replace the whole hydraulic oil since the car is 110K? if yes how should I to it?
B.T.W. I have a Lexia.
Thank you
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Re: citroen c5 x7 front spheres

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum. Do you know that your Lexia is capable of communicating with your C5? The reason I ask is that some of the cheaper Lexia kits have a reduced opto-coupler set, and cannot communicate well (if at all) with some of the ECUs on modern PSA vehicles.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
verdi
Donor 2023

Post by verdi »

Hi James
Thanks for your replying. My Lexia is V9.91 version. Since I got it lately, I connected it to my car, than while enterring I could see that I can make a dePressurised for the suspension.
Thank you for any assist .
Verdi
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Hi Verdi, welcome aboard, C5 x7 front "centre sphere" is actually located inside the front right wheel arch... So it will be a case of removing the front right wheel, removing the wheel arch liner, and removing the sphere. This is potentially advantageous though, for you chancing the fluid, as the prescribed methodology for replacing the fluid is to depressurize the suspension, split the low-pressure supply tube from the LDS tank to the power steering pump, drain the oil out of the tank reconnect the hose, refill the tank, repressurize the suspension, cycle up and down a few times, steering wheels left to right a few times to bleed it, depressurize suspension, check fluid is at the shoulder in the basket in the filler neck, repressurize suspension, up down left right yada yada again.

Essentially to change the front centre sphere, you're going to be right next door to the power steering pump supply hose that drains the tank for a fluid change. There are brilliant guides for changing the LDS fluid already posted by others including Marc (GiveMeABreak) so I've only given you a brief run through.
verdi
Donor 2023

Post by verdi »

Hi Jay-Bruce
Many thanks for your advises. it seems to me that the access to the sphere is from the left wheel not the right because in my country the steering is Left side - make sense?
One more question - Should I remove all the block with the sphere for removing the sphere or it can be done locally only by opening the sphere?
actually I've ordered the Spheres which are going to arrive to me in a few days, so I'm trying to understand the right process.
Thank you
cit-rotti
Donor 2024

Post by cit-rotti »

On the C5 X7 and C6, the ball for the hardness regulator is always on the right-hand side, as described, regardless of whether it is on the right-hand or left-hand side.
Greetings Wolfgang
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

You spoil my fun! I was going to keep quiet and let him strip the left hand wheel arch lining to prove that I'm never wrong...
cit-rotti
Donor 2024

Post by cit-rotti »

Jay-Bruce wrote: 23 May 2023, 00:31 You spoil my fun! I was going to keep quiet and let him strip the left hand wheel arch lining to prove that I'm never wrong...
Sorry - I had not thought of that
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

It's OK, I was only joking :-)
verdi
Donor 2023

Post by verdi »

thank you folks
I assume that finely I would find it by the "harder way"...
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Well, stone the crows!!!

It turns out that there is an alternative location for the front firmness regulator, on a C5 X7 powered by a v6, the firmness regulator is where I said, behind the right-hand wheel arch liner, beside the washer bottle. However, on any C5 X7 powered by an inline 4 engine, it is located to the left of centre line at the back of the engine bay, as per this diagram that I recently seen on another thread which shows the location of the firmness regulator on an i4 C5:

Compared to a v6 powered C5's location:

So, yeah, I'm having to eat a bit of crow here, as I'd given out wrong advice, so it's just as well I stoned the crows at the start of the post then, isn't it?

Sorry for the confusion folks.
verdi
Donor 2023

Post by verdi »

Yes Jay, I sow the update on the other thread "sphere".
Thanks again
verdi
Donor 2023

Post by verdi »

well finally I got the front corner spheres and I found Marc's post that said the following instructions:

A) If you have such a kit, you can depressurise the whole suspension system using this method:
Start the engine.
Set the height control to the "LOW" position.
Wait for the vehicle height to be in the required position.
Stop the engine.
Connect diagnostic tool to the vehicle’s diagnostic socket.
Switch on the ignition.
Carry out an global test.
Go into the menu:
Suspension
Depressurising the system
Follow the instructions displayed on the screen. Wait for the vehicle’s suspension to sink completely - This can take at least 3 minutes.
Switch off the ignition & Disconnect the battery. This is essential, as the suspension system is active with the ignition off and if a door is opened it will trigger the system to operate!

a few questions
when should I open the LDS cover?
since I am going to replace only the front spheres - should I anyway hang free the front wheels before release the first sphere? when it should be done?
what is the procedure after replacing the the spheres? its not clear for me or maybe I didn't fined the instructions for that.
Thank you
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You don't have to depressurise the whole vehicle if you are only replacing the front spheres. You can just depressurise the front axle.

See my guide here:

viewtopic.php?p=649287#p649287
  • So undo the LDS cap
  • Raise the car up on highest suspension.
  • Jack the car up enough to allow supports to be inserted under the front
  • When the wheels are hanging freely, lower the car's suspension to the lowest setting.
  • Then follow the guide to release the pressure in the front circuit.
When you have completed the sphere change, tighten the pressure release screw back up.
If you have lost any LDS fluid when depressurising, top up only by the amount you have lost.
  • Start the engine and place the suspension into the highest setting
  • Allow the car to stabilise which may take a few minutes
  • Then gently lower the jack to lower the vehicle back to the ground then remove the jack once the vehicle is supporting itself at the front.
If all is well bleed the system: raise the vehicle to the highest level again, then all the way to the lowest level, wait for a few minutes, then slowly turn from lock to lock (without holding at the lock) several times slowly.
Centre the steering and check the LDS fluid level is between the 'A' & 'B'
When complete raise the suspension to normal position and refit the LDS cap.
LDS MK III.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
verdi
Donor 2023

Post by verdi »

many thanks for your accurate instructions.
I've replaced the two front spheres which went easily. now Im dealing with the center sphere. now
once I striped the left wheel ( mine c5 has 4 cylinder therefor its located in the left side) arch lining I sow that no access to the sphere. I can see a big sheet of metal under the area of
the sphere which hold some parts etc. should I remove it?
did I miss something? anybody have some experience with it?