Missing fuse on the battery box -- Automatic gearbox actuator -- Help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mariusblk

Missing fuse on the battery box -- Automatic gearbox actuator -- Help

Post by mariusblk »

We are talking about a C4 Picasso 155 THP automatic bought a couple of months ago. The car also came with lots of issues, some of them i still have to discover :)

I have the error "battery charge or electrical supply faulty" on dashboard after aprox 2 minutes after engine starts for 2 months. Didn't notice any issue, but it turned out that when error pops the AC doesn't provide cold air anymore but it works normally blowing air with no decrease in intensity. Also wrote about this viewtopic.php?t=74770 with no real answer.

As i had some time i made some simple checks with the multimeter to see voltage on the battery and all seems fine (engine off and also with all electrical consumers switched on). Local garage said the same thing but I get the feeling they just wanted to get rid of me because they did not even see the missing piece. Anyway i think that if any fault on the battery or alternator the the car would have stopped long time ago.

But as i inspected the fuse boxes i managed to spot a strange thing.

Discovered that on the battery compartment i have a missing fuse "5A - Automatic gearbox actuator" according to diagram in user manual.

What is this fuse for and how come the car did not detect this error on dashboard and the service garage did not see any error or problem using diagnosis and self checking service.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Missing fuse on the battery box -- Automatic gearbox actuator -- Help

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not all fuses will be present depending on vehicle and equipment.

Pop the VIN up so I can see the fuses for this vehicle (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mariusblk

Post by mariusblk »

Hello, there it is: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] Many thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well the first thing is that you don't have an automatic gearbox.

You have a manual clutch and manual gearbox that has hydraulic actuators top do the clutch and gear changes for you. So there is no torque converter. You have a 6 speed piloted manual gearbox.

So it is perfectly normal for fuses to be missing for equipment not fitted.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mariusblk

Post by mariusblk »

Oh, ok so that fuse has to be empty. Thank you for that. I know that the car has a manual piloted gearbox but i thought that automated gearbox actuator was refering to the automated process of changing gears. But then i thought, how can it change gears if actuator is not working since is missing fuse.

But i get it now and see your point. Thank you.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is not unusual to find missing fuses or wiring connectors not connected to anything. It is easier (and cheaper) to make a couple of wiring looms (for example) to cover an entire model range rather than a loom per spec level.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

:)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dogger
mariusblk

Post by mariusblk »

Thank you all for answering, it's been a miss confusion of mine, piloted gearbox = automatic gearbox but it is not. Long story short, mystery is solved.