Xsara Ignition Barrel / Heater Blower Issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Orbit Motors
Donor 2024

Xsara Ignition Barrel / Heater Blower Issue

Post by Orbit Motors »

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Hi Marc,

Got an issue with the demister motor not working on a Xsara Picasso, I believe the most common issue is something to do with an ignition wiring fault and there is a modification part available for the ignition wiring?

If there is anything available like wiring diagrams for the demisters that would be great but I understand if there isn't.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Miles

Satisfaction guaranteed or your dent back!
If it just about starts and drives, I'll probably buy it.

1995 Peugeot 306 XLd
2007 Citroën C6 Lignage

2003 Saab 9-5 3.0 V6 TiD
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Xsara Ignition Barrel / Heater Blower Issue

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Miles, I've moved this out of parts for now as it's more of a technical issue.

There's no modification notifications showing anywhere, but sometimes a faulty ignition barrel can cause issues with the heater blower motor working or not, so not sure if this is what you are referring to.

There's no official acknowledgement of this particular fault, as the issue is caused by people having lots of keys / keyring fobs and other paraphernalia hanging on their car key chain. The weight of all these objects whilst driving the vehicle loosens the barrel internals and ultimately the electronic wiring / block internally that causes faults. Replacing the internal barrel electronic block seems to cure this, but the answer is not to overload your key fob with objects.

Here's a video on replacing it - this bloke has the same issue:

orbit pic steering lock.PNG
Item (4) is no longer available, but I believe you can get them aftermarket (original Citroen part was: 4162HK)

Some available here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... K&_sacat=0
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Re: Xsara Ignition Barrel / Heater Blower Issue

Post by Huskyxantia »

Defo the barrel worn, i had a mk1 xantia worn ignition barrel had to wiggle to fire up i think the big thick live on these is shared with the heater, ebay do a barrel not to expensive, i changed one on a picasso i owned it decided to jam up , pretty simple to swap out.
Husky. :?