36 Upgrades?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Crow36
My Cars:

36 Upgrades?

Post by Crow36 »

Hi there i own a 1.9td 306 and i have done various mods to it but am now looking into dump valves, exhaust systems, and induction kits. My dad (mechanic) tells me that the dump valve and induction kit will do more damage than gain. And tht i wount get much of a sound for the deisel engine to the exhaust. Is he right?
it is a 1994 model and has done 100000miles but still i hought i would ask some more peoples oppinions. Can it be done and is it worth getting done? any help would be great thanks [:o)]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

A dump valve is totally pointless on a diesel as there's no throttle (apart from making a noise). The exhaust won't make much difference as there's a turbo in the way of the exhaust gasses which acts as a silencer and a restriction. An induction kit won't help either; a clean, fresh standard air filter makes much more difference.
If you want something doing, take it to one of the proper diesel tuners (Van Aaken etc, not superchips as it's old school mechanics in a '94 TD) and get it tuned there; you'll get 10x more back for your money than on a "performance" exhaust.
The PSA 1.9TD lump is one of the better diesels out there, and (headgasket willing) will go to 115bhp no probs; search the Citroen forum for "diesel tuning"; there are a few people on there who have had their Xantia/ZX's tuned up to 110-115bhp.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

If the videos on the Derv Doctor's site are anything to go by, diesel dump valves can be quite noisy indeed!
http://www.zen19051.zen.co.uk/prod01.htm
Crow36
My Cars:

Post by Crow36 »

thanks alot guys help is much appreciated as i will now not waist my money [:)]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had my Xantia boosted at Van Aaken.115bhp/185lft.(1.9td)Made a great difference.Fuel econ didnt suffer.I`d would think a 306 would fly along.200-300kg lighter than my Xantia and that flys!
Do a search on Citroen forum 4 Tuning.A lot of people diy their fuel pump.I took mine to V Aaken as i didnt like to mess with it.They road test before and after to make sure all running ok.Done about 23k now with it boosted,133k total.
www.vanaaken.com
adrianmcgowan
My Cars:

Post by adrianmcgowan »

ns,
how much did the tuning cost at Van Acken? Did you have to notify your insurance of the tuning?
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

I have my 306 tuned to about 115 bhp, its simply adjusting 3 screws that does it. An induction kit wont see a performance gain but does lower the tone of the engine note. I have a piper cross cone, you will need to ensure however it gets a suitable cold air feed if you do get one. As for exhaust, true it makes no performance gain as dervs dont rely on back pressure and the turbo only mildly silences it, I have a full straight through pipe with a 3.5 inch backbox. It sounds quite nice from behind when on rev's and the engine does rev a lot more freely, but only out of gear!!
Crow36
My Cars:

Post by Crow36 »

Is there anything that you have that you wish you had'nt bought. Asin exhaust ,induction etc
just so i can look out :)
Crow36
My Cars:

Post by Crow36 »

how much did the van acken tuning cost and does it make a difference on the insurance?
silverline
My Cars:

Post by silverline »

the best mod for a turbo diesel engine is a chip upgrade! it gives you more boost, more torque, smoother power delivery and obviously more bhp with out threatening the reliability. do that and nothing else, you'll be amazed.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

For a HDI, yes, but we're on about the old XUD9 here with mechanical injection; ECU mods don't apply
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Sorry about delay.Vanaaken cost £385,took about 2 hours.They road test car b4 & after to make sure all ok.Pulls like a train now through the gears.I had it done 2yrs ago now,& plan on keeping car 4 another 3yrs.If you dont plan 2 keep your car 4 long,its not worth the money.I had it done `cause we do a lot of towing.A lot of people DIY their fuel pumps to give better performace,i didnt like 2 mess.Do a search on heer.
In theory you should tell your insurance company,but as its all done on the fuel pump,theres no way of knowing.I`m not saying if i did or not!!!LOL
Crow36
My Cars:

Post by Crow36 »

wow thanks for that. Is there anything else out there for the old turbo deisel engines. I mean theres tons for petrol and i plan on getting the turbo mechanical upgrade done soon. If anyone knows of anything small or big to get that little more umph! from my pug id be greatful to know thanks so far guys great help