Xantia brakes come off then on again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cmyers_uk

Xantia brakes come off then on again

Post by cmyers_uk »

I have a N reg Xantia 1.8 non ABS model. If I am going down hill and apply the brakes and keep my foot at the same place the brakes will come off then come back on (kanagroo braking). This happens in the last 10mph of slowing down. The brakes also are very vicous they have no feel in them and are not progressive. They do However stop you. The problem is in gentle braking. I have replaced the pads and disks and its had a main dealer service. Could this be caused by a faulty Brake control valve?
Thanks
Chris
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'd suspect your main accumulator sphere, the one that is located on engine block.
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

My Xantia has the same symptoms. Very annoying and bad for my neck. Accumulator seems to tick too often and moreover, it ticks like mad (every second or faster) when the car height is being adjusted to a higher level. Sometimes it isn't quite so bad, but it always ticks a bit too madly when the car's rising...
Perhaps accumulator sphere in mine...?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

YES James [8D]
Jazz2001
My Cars:

Post by Jazz2001 »

Ive had problems and had all the spheres changed yet it still ticks when the car is risin and when stood. The mechanic thought the filters were blocked so i did a clean and it still does that the same thing. If there anything i can check to help stop it?
Jazz
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

When I bought my Xantia just over 12 months ago my brakes behaved like this, my accumulator was ticking at 30 sec. intervals. I changed the accumulator and this improved the brakes quite a lot, but they were still not perfect, if I did the Citerobics the brakes were then fine for a couple of days, I then put Hydroflush in cleaned the filters and susequently replaced the Hydroflush with LHM, the brakes have been fine since I did this.