Engine Warning Light & P0494 code

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Martyn

Engine Warning Light & P0494 code

Post by Martyn »

Hi there I recently purchased a citroen C1 Mk2 1.2 and I was driving back home yesterday and got caught in traffic to start with and then drove down the motorway for about 20 miles with the aircon on as it was quite warm. During the journey the engine management light came on not sure when because the car seemed fine. Today I plugged my reader in and got a P0494 code which it says is a fan speed low fault, without thinking about it I cleared the code and the light has gone off, the car is under warranty but if it shows no fault I can't take it in, any ideas of how to get it back or what the cause might be. I have checked all the connectors around the fan assembly they're all on but I don't know how to release them to check the connections, if anybody has any ideas I would be very grateful, thanks.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: Engine Warning Light & P0494 code

Post by Paul-R »

How old is the car? My first thought is that the engine cooling fan has seized up with lack of use over the winter and that's why it didn't like crawling in traffic or the extra load put on the system with operating the A/C.

Can you reach the fan blades to see if you can turn them by hand? Engine cold and ignition off of course! You might also look at whatever fuse the fan uses to see if it's blown with the extra load that a partially seized motor might give. But, if it's under warranty then really don't do anything too much and consider taking it back.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Martyn

Re: Engine Warning Light & P0494 code

Post by Martyn »

Thanks for the help, spun the fan no problem, took the car for a drive and got it warmed up and the fan cuts in and out with no warning light. The car is a 67 plate and has been on the garage forecourt since January. The car has only done 24000 miles, so perhaps taking it for a good run woke it up and it didn't like it. I will continue to monitor it and see what happens.