Haynes was a bit out .................

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wotsupnow
My Cars:

Haynes was a bit out .................

Post by wotsupnow »

Whilst changing the rad last week I noticed the ribbed side of the aux belt was starting to split across the ribs at about 1 cm intervals. I bought one and tackled it this aft. 1.9TD 1998 with aircon, couldn't find the adjustments that Haynes showed, turns out that the Haynes 2ltr diag was the one..... so after filing a hex bar down to a 3/8" square to release the tensioner I got the belt off only to find that the one bought after giving the RP no. (7771) was too short ! new one 1700 old one 1736, so I've had to put the old one back for now. Haynes very briefly mentions an eccentric pully adjustment and it does look like the bottom idler pulley matches the diagram but how should it be set ? in fact, should it be set at all if there's a sprung tensioner ?. Anyone fill in the blanks here ?
Have you noticed Haynes points at the hydraulic pump and says remove the aircon pump cover, it's amazing anyone manages to follow this book at all.
Pete
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I have the same eccentric adjuster on my 1998 1.9TD aux drive belt as you. In order to get the correct belt I had to find the number on the original belt. If I remember correctly the number on the belt relates to its width and length. As Citroen used different alternators and Air-con compressors this is the only way to ensure the correct size.
Having released the automatic adjuster I set the eccentric so that there was about 5mm of free movement under thump pressure. I had to set it twice as the first time I did not get the eccentric centre bolt tight enough.[:(]
Richard
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Multi-rib belts don't stretch nearly as much as the old single-V so-called "fan belts", so the best bet is to measure your old belt and see which standard length minus a few mm will fit.
//NiSk
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Well, if it's anything like a BX16V with air/con, it's not all that critical.
My car had a 1270 belt fitted and I eventually found a 1275 which adjusted up OK. I then happened to be looking at my sons car which is only a few numbers away on the ORGA number and discovered that it has a 1240 belt which also fits.
The jockey wheel seems to have such a large distance of adjustment on the eccentric that it seems that that amount of adjustment is possible. O have to admit though that if you happen to remove the jockey wheel completely from the car as I did & fitted a belt that didn't require the jockey wheel and then subsequently decide to refit it, it's a right old job trying to decipher which way it's supposed to go.[:p]
Alan S [:o)]