C5 X7 Coolant Temperature

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cit fan 151
(Donor 2022)

C5 X7 Coolant Temperature

Post by Cit fan 151 »

When driving our 2012 C5 3.0 HDI down long hills, sometimes the coolant temperature reduces from normal operating temperature to much cooler. Could this be caused by anything other than a faulty thermostat? It doesn’t appear to be a common problem with this model?
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 23 Apr 2023, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Citroen Technical Forum
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C5 X7 Coolant Temperature

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you're coasting down a a long hill for some time, then fuel injection is reduced so there is less heat produced from the engine as it has less work to do, but even with air intake possibly providing more cooling, I can't really see how this would reduce your engine temperature significantly enough to notice once it reaches normal operating temperature.

So I would be looking at checking the thermostat / checking for air in the system. Has the coolant be changed recently and was it properly bled? Are you getting hot and cold air from left and right sides of the interior vents? If not that can be a symptom of a blockage in the coolant system.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I had this problem with one of mine, the temperature would go to zero down a long hill in cold weather. Unfortunately it was the thermostat, I say 'unfortunately' because its a pig to change, its enclosed in a plastic housing on the side of the engine - ah, I have just noticed yours is a 3 litre, mine is a two, maybe yours is easier to get at - or more difficult although I wouldn't think that was possible.

I have done a guide to changing the 2.0. on here somewhere, have a look at that and see it it helps.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Temperature sensors can be faulty, that would be my first thing to look at.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
Cit fan 151
(Donor 2022)

Post by Cit fan 151 »

Thanks for the feedback.

The coolant was changed about a year ago, but I have only noticed problem with coolant temperature recently.

I did think a sensor might be a problem, but the fact that it only fluctuates from normal down a long hill made me doubt this was the problem?

Will have the mechanic do it, but will also have a look at the guide on the 2.0 thermostat.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The coolant draining and bleeding procedure is here in the Members' section, It's the same for your 3.0 HDi, just ignore the first diagram with the cooling hoses intended for the specific 2.0 engine in the guide, but the procedure is identical:

viewtopic.php?t=64036
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If the temperature drops a lot on descending a long hill but is normally OK that would indicate that the thermostat is not fully closing.

Peter