Pulling to one side common causes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Pulling to one side common causes?

Post by JamesQB »

Can anyone please help list the most common causes for steering that pulls to one side?
My Xantia pulls mildly to one side even though tracking seems okay and tyre pressures are normal. My sister-in-law's Fiat Stilo is parked on the drive now and apparently it pulls very strongly to the right, someone who has just driven it said it's dangerous and needs attention before a 150 mile drive back to where she lives. A quick look at the front tyres doesn't reveal any terrible tracking error by sight but the steering wheel isn't central or anything like in the car when straight ahead, which is either due to wheel off for work behind it and they hasn't been put back on straight, or someone's buggered about with the tracking and only altered one track-rod, instead of both equally. Perhaps that's the trouble.
Anyway, I know the tyre pressure and tracking can affect steering pull, but what else is there to check? Can, for instance, power steering become faulty and be constantly forcing the steering over to one side? A list of all things to check would be very handy.
Incidently, although not the place for a Stilo question, my mind is looking for answers after being told that the brakes are no good, apparently when stepping on the brake pedal, nothing seems to happen and then all of a sudden the brake pads clamp hard, again it gives the driver a feeling of danger... just wondering...
Thanks all, I'm getting back to my cup of tea... ah, laaaazy weekends [:D][8D]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I don't know what type of brakes are on the Fiat, but if one side had become contaminated, that would unbalance the stopping. Also if tracking had been adjusted without first centralizing the steering, and clamping the wheel, any adjustment, although toe-in may be correct, would cause the car to pull to one side. Any mounting bolts that may be loose could also cause pulling. Best advice would be to get it looked at before any long journey.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Worn balljoints can also affect alignment-you can jack it up and give everything a good shake, and lever any joint that you can see.
Its probably worth at least getting the alignment checked, as the tracking can be right out but you could never tell just by looking.
Is there any abnormal wear on the tyre edges, or has it just started to pull? It could have been badly kerbed which can also knock the alignment out.
Regarding the brakes, is this just your impression or the drivers?
I know when I drive normally braked cars rather than my BX I tend to not push the pedal hard enough, not get the instant powered response, and then push a lot harder in mild panic!!!!!
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Thanks for the replies. Will try to get more info on when the car starting pulling and what preceded that happening. It's quite a new car, still got the "new car" smell.
The brake response is the impression of 2 people who have driven it, I haven't driven it yet so I can't say for sure what it's like. I know what you mean about driving cars with standard braking systems after being used to a Xantia, etc. It's pretty scary. Funnily enough, I do that 'panic braking too hard' thing as well after a light push on the pedal does nothing!
James