Xantia Handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

Xantia Handbrake

Post by tonyb1 »

When I pulled up the handbrake today on my Xantia (1994 TDLX), I felt and heard a sort of click and the handbrake came right up with no tension, untill it was at it's highest[:(] Now it will not have any effect unless it is right up tight. My pads and discs are only 4 weeks old. Does this mean that one of the cables has broken or dropped off the mechanism on the brake? I need an idiots guide to fix or confirm this if anyone can help. I've looked through the history, there's loads about it but I'm still a bit stuck. Cheers.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Take the front wheels off and look at the cable nipple, one may just have popped out of its slot in the lever, if so the cable needs adjusting until there is between 3mm and 5mm of cable travel before the caliper lever starts to move.
If you can pull the inner able out then obviously its bust, but if you can pull it and it stops and can push it back ok, but the brake lever wont pull it back, then either it has become disenaged at the other end or some fault has occured with the equalising link, if that was the case and with you needing to ask then maybe it should be entrusted to someone else to sort for you.
Dave