front sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goodier
My Cars:

front sphere

Post by goodier »

can any one tell me what the sphere is behind the radiator on xantia 19td is this is leaking on my car can i replace it myself and do i need to bleed the new one
thanks
mark
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If its the one screwed onto a block of metal mounted on the gearbox, its the accumulator sphere. Clean up around it and make sure the leak is actually coming from the sphere/block joint and not one of the many pipes in the area. Try turning the sphere by hand (clockwise) to see if its really loose (with the car in it's lowest position and the pressure release valve opened a half turn - the pressure release valve is the 12 mm bolt head sticking out of the same block of metal). If the leak really is coming from the joint, the square section rubber seal has probably gone. I which case you will have to remove the sphere and change the seal. Depending on how old the sphere is, it may well have lost some (or all) its pressure and may therefore need recharging or replacing. Any decent Citroën workshop can check the pressure once the sphere is off. Getting it off, however is a completely different matter! Restrictions of space can make it extreemely difficult to get a suitable tool around the sphere. Check elsewhere on this site for suggestions.
//NiSk
goodier
My Cars:

Post by goodier »

thank you for your help a least i know what it is called now for when i order my parts, is there only one type of accumulator sphere
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you get an accumulator sphere for a Xantia, the same one will fit all the various models. Before using a wrench on the sphere, put a piece of hardboard or similar against the radiator to prevent damage.