BX bottom ball joint

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

BX bottom ball joint

Post by vanny »

how easy is this to get in/out?
Just failed the MOT for it (there where a few other issues, but nothing else difficult to fix).
the book of lies list a rather long page of 'citroen tool number's . . ) which amazingly i dont have. Im gonna look at having someone do the job for me bacuse i dont like the sound of it, but thing is i need it done very soon ie days. The local garage cant do it, and if i cant find somewhere fast then i'll have to do it myself!
so any instructions on how to?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I usually remove the hub, put it in a very solid bench vice, give it a dose of the hot spanner then belt seven kinds of S**t out of it, replacement is a reversal of the dismantling etc
Stewart
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I did this job on a BX recently and found that it was necessary to remove the hub, lock it in a vice and apply heat in order to be able to apply the necessary force. I then tried to screw in the GSF replacement only to find that the thread on it was too large/deep. Basically the thread had been cut in the normal way rather then being very shallow as per the original one. A few minutes on a grinder sorted it out.
Overall, not the easiest of ball joint replacement jobs I have done!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

yeah thats a damn good point. The guy at the garage (who cant do the job till thursday, but will do it for £40) was saying that when they get the ball joints out it can destroy the wishbone! I knew there was something wrong about that comment, i guess he meant the carrier as he knows i do all my own work and wouldnt try to fleece me cos id kill him.
Guess i will give it a go on sunday, if i succeed im on a winner, if a fail i loose £5 on the new ball joint :D
What is hotter? Butane or propane? i have a 'conventional' blow torch and canisters for both, tend to have the blue canisters in it, but im sure there are orange ones kicking about.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Welcome to hell!!!!![}:)]
Having done both mine now I agree with the above-you stand no chance of doing it in situ-if you try you will just waste a lot of time-it only takes about 20 mins to get the hub carrier off and onto the bench.
The method that worked for me was to clamp it in the vice and then attack it with a cutting/grinding disc.
Cut the by now very annoying ball pin out, and then grind the rest of it down to hub level, where you will find that the edge has been peaned over into a groove to prevent it unthreading- dig this out,then a few taps with the chisel to unscrew whats left.
What makes them hard to get out is the ring for the special socket seizes on to the hub carrier, rather than the threaded part seizing; when you do get it out you will be surprised at how clean the threads are!
You don't need to loctite the new one, just pean over the edge.
The special socket for re-fitting is available in most decent spares shops-ask for it for a Pug-if you say Citroen they probably will probably say "sorry mate, dealer only"
Look on the bright side- if this was an Allegro or old Mini you would also have to shim it up to adjust the play!!!
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

hi,
here`s the tool you need http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... ionid=6101and a very long bar and a 32mm socket take the nut that holds the hub carrier but do not remove the track rod end use steering lock then move the bar easy peasy.
meexi
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yep! thats the tool, bolt it up really tight using the ball joint nut, stick a (42mm?) socket on the back and apply a pneumatic nut runner . . . who says you can't remove BX/XM/Xantia bottom ball joints in situ???
I had both mine replaced this way on Wednesday - took all of 30 minutes.
//NiSk
walshy
My Cars:

Post by walshy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>

how easy is this to get in/out?
Just failed the MOT for it (there where a few other issues, but nothing else difficult to fix).
the book of lies list a rather long page of 'citroen tool number's . . ) which amazingly i dont have. Im gonna look at having someone do the job for me bacuse i dont like the sound of it, but thing is i need it done very soon ie days. The local garage cant do it, and if i cant find somewhere fast then i'll have to do it myself!
so any instructions on how to?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
walshy
My Cars:

Post by walshy »

hi vanny done bottom ball joints in sit no problem have socket i live in southport merseyside contact me if you need to borrow socket etc peter tel 01704 560831