Hydractive 3 vs Hydractive 3+

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobiwan

Hydractive 3 vs Hydractive 3+

Post by bobiwan »

Hello guys, I have decided to purchase C5 I facelift 2005-2008, but I have a dilemma. Is 3+ noticeably more comfortable then 3? Anyone can share from personal experience?
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Re: Hydractive 3 vs Hydractive 3+

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Not my own experience, but I was speaking to someone on the forum about which of the three generations of C5 rode best, and they said their C5 mk.II which was Hydractive 3 rather than 3+ was the comfiest, hope that helps?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

H3+ on C5 MK I & IIs have the additional front and centre spheres, so rides on 6 spheres in normal or comfort mode, where H3 only has the 4 corner spheres. The X7 has an additional rear centre sphere (so 7 in total).

However the weight is the problem in my opinion - or lack of it. Despite different sphere pressures on H3 & H3+, the more spheres you have, the less it it going to cushion with the same weight. In other words the effect of the springing is going to be worse with the more spheres as there is insufficient counter weight. That's why the best ride in the X7 was when I had a full load of concrete slabs in the boot!

With my X7, I found that although great for firming up in sport mode for 'spirited country driving', I found them not as comfortable as my MK II with H3.
My X7 H3+ did not iron out the bumps or jolts in the road, so was a bit more bumpy.

My C5 MKI H3 and MK II H3 both rode better than the X7 H3+ for normal driving though with only driver or front passenger, but I still preferred my GS, CX & Xantia with the older Hydropneumatic system for ride quality.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobiwan

Post by bobiwan »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 12:08 H3+ on C5 MK I & IIs have the additional front and centre spheres, so rides on 6 spheres in normal or comfort mode, where H3 only has the 4 corner spheres. The X7 has an additional rear centre sphere (so 7 in total).

However the weight is the problem in my opinion - or lack of it. Despite different sphere pressures on H3 & H3+, the more spheres you have, the less it it going to cushion with the same weight. In other words the effect of the springing is going to be worse with the more spheres as there is insufficient counter weight. That's why the best ride in the X7 was when I had a full load of concrete slabs in the boot!

With my X7, I found that although great for firming up in sport mode for 'spirited country driving', I found them not as comfortable as my MK II with H3.
My X7 H3+ did not iron out the bumps or jolts in the road, so was a bit more bumpy.

My C5 MKI H3 and MK II H3 both rode better than the X7 H3+ for normal driving though with only driver or front passenger, but I still preferred my GS, CX & Xantia with the older Hydropneumatic system for ride quality.
So in conclusion for the first generation(phase 2 as well) we can conclude that cars that have the "sport" mode and 6 spheres actually ride worse than the regular with 4?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In my personal opinion yes.

This has to be a personal choice though, as if you are a bit of a boy racer and like tearing round at 160 KPH on winding roads and want a firmer. sportier ride, then you will want H3+.
If your aim is normal driving on straight roads with comfort as a priority, stick to H3.

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

IMHO the C5x7's with HA3+ ride harder because Citroen kept "upgrading" the Anti-roll bars..... I do not belive HA3+ was the problem that some people think it is.

A C5X7 with 300kg in the boot is fantastic.....even better with 600kg of cast iron radiators and the back seats down with most of the weight forward of the rear wheels = anti-roll bars IMHO.

The very early cars has thinner AR's than the later ones.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dogger
bobiwan

Post by bobiwan »

Guys I am asking about the C5 before X7
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yes I know.....I was answering the comments above regarding the difference between Mk2 (HA3) and a X7 (HA3+)....NOTE: The C5x7 is a TOTALLY different car and cannot be compared with the Mk1/2 equally.

I have had the Mk1 without, a Mk1 with Ha3, a Mk2 with HA3 (and the above note and an X7 with HA3+)................ both the Mk1 & 2 drove like big old boats on everything other than straight roads....comfortable but not great if you need to push on, imho there was little to choose between them in comfort...tyres make more difference.

The Mk1/2 are just a bigger Xantia..............
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dogger
aspire_helen

Post by aspire_helen »

My opinion of my 2001 H3+ after 20years and 180,000miles is: hydraulic suspension is an unnecessary complexity; I have never noticed any handling change in "sport" mode; the rear suspension has always been hard and noisy over bumps, despite copious sound absorption material under the rear seat. All in all, the suspension is nowhere near as comfortable as Citroen had us believe.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Try loading the boot and rear seats with as much weight as you can.

I loaded my estate to the gills with MDF for a friend. It did slow that car down a bit but that didn't matter as it was speed bumps all the way to her house.

The more surprising thing was how much better the ride was for the next three days.

I took to carrying a couple of hundred kilos of tools in the boot after that, improved the ride no end.
Same with the saloon that replaced it.

But I was out in my daughter's Kia Picanto last weekend. That would make you appreciate Citroen suspension. As would my Civic but it is much better than the Picanto.
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

myglaren wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 22:19 The more surprising thing was how much better the ride was for the next three days.
Dagnamit, the fact the ride was more supple for 3 days after the hauling is going to perplex me for days now. Although, I've got a working theory already, could it be the extra weight caused deflection that caused the Anti Roll Bar to rotate in it's bushes, breaking the crusty corrosion crud that had bonded to the bushes, returning it's effective behaviour to something more of an anti roll bar and less like a complimentary torsion (helper) spring? It's goign to be ages before I get home and get a chance to test this theoy out.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

aspire_helen wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 21:44 My opinion of my 2001 H3+ after 20years and 180,000miles is: hydraulic suspension is an unnecessary complexity; I have never noticed any handling change in "sport" mode; the rear suspension has always been hard and noisy over bumps, despite copious sound absorption material under the rear seat. All in all, the suspension is nowhere near as comfortable as Citroen had us believe.
I'd suggest you have another issue in that case, as you should be able to detect Sport mode quite easily. Moreso if you press the SPORT button, which alters the suspension laws to keep it in sport mode for longer that it would on automatic mode.

Although my MK II Exclusive was just H3, I drove plenty of other C5s and these included a 2.2 with H3+ and I noticed the difference immediately.

So maybe with this mileage your spheres have started to leak and need replacing. The ride will be harder when the nitrogen has escaped. Although the original saucer spheres are 'long life' with improved membranes, they are not 100% impermeable.

Marc
aspire_helen

Post by aspire_helen »

I have never noticed any difference in sport mode, even when I bought it at 9000miles / 2 years. I took it to a dealer to look at the rear suspension, but they said it was normal. Only years later did I learn that Citroen retro-fitted sound-proofing under the rear seats to help absorb the knocking. However, it is perfectly Ok for my somewhat "relaxed" driving!