Power steering leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rudethenude66

Power steering leak

Post by Rudethenude66 »

Hi again.
On Monday I was on M25 in fast lane when my Citroen Relay Enterprise just cut out and lost all power, I managed to coast it over into an emergency stop spot, tried to restart but just came up with check power steering in handbook. So got recovered and next day I took a look at it and found 2 faults Po344 & 335? Anyway after looking underneath I see that the crankshaft sensor plug had been pulled tight and cracked sensor so I replaced sensor but van still won’t start, I’ve checked cables of crankshaft and camshaft sensors with a multi meter and both are getting power to and from. Also I seem to have power steering fluid coming into the cabin from up behind the heater box, I have been noticing a smell inside the cab for over a week now which must of been the fluid leaking, also the pipe under the van near the crankshaft sensor seems to have snapped off the bracket which probably caused the crankshaft sensor and wire getting ripped out. So my questions are:- 1 does anyone know what the power steering pipes attach to through the bulkhead or why fluid can leak into cab?
2 any ideas on why it’s still not starting given the fault codes?
Thank you all.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 17 Apr 2023, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Citroen Forum
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Power steering leak

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you can provide your VIN, I'll take a look at those codes (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Rudethenude66

Post by Rudethenude66 »

Hi and thank you, it’s VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Rudethenude66

Post by Rudethenude66 »

It also seems to now turning over very quickly 🤷🏻‍♂️
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok I don't have much detail on this engine but:

Fault P0344 relates to the camshaft position sensor.
Fault P0335 relates to the engine speed sensor and if faulty will cause high idling speed as you have said.

So if you have an issue with the power steering oil pump or a leak in the pipes, then this is going to start causing you issues.

Marc
Rudethenude66

Post by Rudethenude66 »

Ok thank you for your help 👍🏻
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Rudethenude66 wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 12:39 It also seems to now turning over very quickly 🤷🏻‍♂️
GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 12:50 Ok I don't have much detail on this engine but:

Fault P0344 relates to the camshaft position sensor.
Fault P0335 relates to the engine speed sensor and if faulty will cause high idling speed as you have said.

So if you have an issue with the power steering oil pump or a leak in the pipes, then this is going to start causing you issues.
Unlikely, a tends to be more "spectacular" but given reported symptoms, I'd check timing belt is in one piece in the first instance! (Fingers crossed it's a red herring)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The official P0335 code, specifically states this (high engine speed at idling) as a symptom Matt, hence me mentioning it. :wink: But of course with a leak, it can cause havoc with sensors and belts. In any case, if it's a matter of oil that has got into the sensor(s) or sensor wiring, then they've likely had it if it's got inside via the wiring.

Marc
KennyW
Donor 2024

Post by KennyW »

Did you check for continuity on the wiring or voltage or resistance.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, moved on.
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Rudethenude66

Post by Rudethenude66 »

Reply to all, (sorry still not sure how to use this site yet) Update I’ve stripped it down and it seems like the belt has somehow slipped about 9 teeth. I fitted anew belt, water pump, tension kit at Christmas, everything is still tight so haven’t a clue how it could of slipped but would account for it spinning over quickly.