wierdo noise from front end wheels (xantia)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zorgman
My Cars:

wierdo noise from front end wheels (xantia)

Post by zorgman »

hi all
ill sort this car if its the thing i do
anyhoo the noise starts at about 10 mph and gets louder the faster i go matterless what gear im in also clutch in or out (i dont know when it started as it was there from day one when i put the car on road as it was salvage car)
noise level doesnt change going round left or right bends and on motorway as i increase the speed the noise changes pitch to the poiint now i can work out speed by the sound of it,
it sounds like a wheel bearing on the nearside (left) but whats throwing me when i spin the wheel i cant feel anything no groaning or anything checked the gearbox oil thats topped up changed the tyre no difference either.
the sound isnt a whine more like a dry rotating noise
any thoughts out there
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

could still be the wheel bearing. if it has got hot enough you will find that the ball bearings inside will in fact become oval rather than round. it sounds like a bearing to me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Intermediate bearing in the long RH driveshaft is a possibility - this would not be affected by steering input. Also possibly diff bearings if it's high mileage. Wheel bearing probably the best bet though, but you might have to change both to eliminate....
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

hi
just changed the left hub ass from a breakers noise now gone many thanks