Berlingo some electrical issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

keyzex2

Berlingo some electrical issues

Post by keyzex2 »

Hi I hope you can help me.
I have a Citroen Berlingo 1.4 year 2001 RPO(0)8855 LHD which has some electrical issues.

Ignition off I have no interior lights no memory on audio no central locking or cig lighter and the clock stops running.

Have checked all the fuses, I have no SH in my fuse box there is a marking SH but there it is not possible to get in any fuse.

BSI has power all the time, but when the ignition is turned off, the fuse box in the cabin becomes powerless.

Can't find any cable faults, the car was bought in this condition so I don't know when this started.

All suggestions are welcome.
Berling Fuse.jpg
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 13 Apr 2023, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Uploaded Image Direct to Forum
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Berlingo some electrical issues

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Do you have your VIN (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff) so I can check exactly which vehicle this is.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
keyzex2

Post by keyzex2 »

Thanks my VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

No error codes according to Lexia, even the OBD socket pin 16 becomes without electricity
Never give up
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I've had a look at what I have and unfortunately, the fuse box diagrams are nothing like the one in the picture, so I can't help you with this one, but could be an engine fuse box fuse(s) that powers the board in the passenger compartment.

Even the official diagrams I have from Citroen are bad scanned copies - which is typical of vehicles this age where they were starting to digitise the information.

Marc
keyzex2

Post by keyzex2 »

Thank you for trying.
All fuses are ok in the engine fuse box there are two SH fuses but only in one position and all fuses are intact.
If I solve the problem, I will report it here
Never give up
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, well the first thing is the battery - if it's over 5 years old then it's probably due for a change - as it may not be holding a charge or insufficient charge for some systems when the engine is switched off. But I'd check connections from battery to the fusebox and check all the fuses with a tester (don't rely on a visual check). I would expect it has to be a fuse or relay for the specific equipment to stop working - but of course the giveaway will be the clock that stops working - so loss of power when ignition is switched off will mean the permanent live isn't permanent or your economy mode is kicking in very quickly to preserve power.

Not too sure about that shunt fuse either. It's supposed to be on one of 2 positions.... but that would be another reason for certain consumables not to be working with engine off. Check the fuses either side - has anyone put these in there to cover up the other shunt position?

Marc
keyzex2

Post by keyzex2 »

The only thing that has power in the box are the terminals which are empty for SH fuse.
Will test all fuses with multimeter in engine fuse box
Never give up
ozvtr

Post by ozvtr »

I have trawled through a few CCT diagrams for Berlingo's of that era. I can not guarantee my results are accurate but it seems to tee up.

Ok, the cigarette lighter is a red herring. It only works in the 'on' and 'ignition' positions, directly from the ignition switch. There is no permanent power to it.

All the other problems seem to stem from the fact the shunt is missing. It supplies constant power to the BSI and all the other circuits that you mentioned. Some circuits derive switched power from the BSI. Some circuits derive permanent power through the BSI. Some circuits, directly from the shunt.

The only fly in the ointment was the interior lights. But the lights appear to have a switch to select between "permanently on", "off" and "power controlled from the BSI" (I don't know how the switches would actually be labeled. Probably pictograms?). I'm assuming that the lights only work in the "BSI" position? (Does anything work in the 'off' position? :lol:)

The power from the shunt to the BSI would normally supply 60 seconds of "standby" power for things like the interior lights and the dash. As a "courtesy" the interior lights com on when the ignition is turned off. Typically after 60 seconds of the ignition being turned off, the BSI starts shutting power down (including the courtesy lights). I bet when you turn the ignition off, everything goes black instantly?

The only thing that I can think, is that the previous owner removed the shunt to reduce the load on the battery while the car was waiting to be sold, and they forgot to reinstall it? Have you contacted the previous owner to see if that was the case?
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

You need to remove the 10 amp fuse at the blue arrow. Then fit a shunt in the position shown in yellow, the shunt is a slightly different size to a normal fuse so this is the only place it will fit.
When you remove that 10 amp fuse the bottom leg of the shunt will be where the top leg of the 10 amp was & the top leg of the shunt will go in the empty position above it.
Attachments
IMG_6904.jpeg
keyzex2

Post by keyzex2 »

Thanks so much for your help.

Will look for a shunt fuse and report the results.

Feels like the solution is close now.
Never give up
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Basically its in transport position, it cuts power to permanent consumers so the battery doesn’t go flat when its in storage. It leaves the factory in the configuration its in just now. When the car gets its PDI that 10 amp gets removed then the shunt is fitted in the position I showed. There is only one position it will fit in so you cant get it wrong.
I take it the fault has existed since you had the car?
keyzex2

Post by keyzex2 »

Correct it is bought in this condition.
Never give up
ozvtr

Post by ozvtr »

wheeler wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 16:01 Basically its in transport position, it cuts power to permanent consumers so the battery doesn’t go flat when its in storage. It leaves the factory in the configuration its in just now. When the car gets its PDI that 10 amp gets removed then the shunt is fitted in the position I showed. There is only one position it will fit in so you cant get it wrong.
I take it the fault has existed since you had the car?
I still wonder why they took the shunt out? I wonder if something isn't burnt out?
shunt 001.jpg
shunt 002.jpg
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

As an aside, I have an old fusebox from when we had a Xsara and I've just looked at the shunts in it. There are two and one has a green identifying strip (as the photo) and the other is red. Any significance to that?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
keyzex2

Post by keyzex2 »

Hi
Thanks for all the help now it works after installing SH.
Here is the report after using the car for a while.

But strangely only the interior lighting at first but after a day or so the central locking started working too.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge
Never give up