Oil usage 2.2 litre hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ceenine
Donor 2023

Oil usage 2.2 litre hdi

Post by Ceenine »

My 2014 133,000 kilometre vehicle uses absolutely no engine oil between services. I use 5W 30 grade oil formulated by Penrite here in Australia. It is C3 grade. I change oil about every 12,000 kilometres which happens to be about annually. Is this normal for this fine vehicle or is it maybe due to my excellent driving style, eg no burnouts or otherwise driving misbehaviour?
Don in Devonport
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Oil usage 2.2 litre hdi

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It should be normal, me neither on any of my HDis to date.

The only vehicles I'm aware of that eat oil are the later petrol engines.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 11:21 It should be normal, me neither on any of my HDis to date.

The only vehicles I'm aware of that eat oil are the later petrol engines.
Same here, My C5s (2L) used about an eggcup full between annual changes.
There was a very slight leak on the turbo piping that blew a very fine mist onto the cylinder head and the oil collected in the injector wells. Never manged to fix it. Last one had almost 250,000 miles on it. The other not much less.
cit-rotti
Donor 2024

Post by cit-rotti »

Every engine consumes oil
and
However, combustion residues also flow into the oil - especially in engines with FAP, the residues are higher.

Conclusion:
If oil consumption and combustion residues are in balance, then the oil level remains constant - but the oil quality becomes increasingly worse because of the residues.

Therefore, it is very valuable if the oil is changed more often in diesel vehicles, especially with FAP - if possible once a year regardless of the mileage.

Greetings Wolfgang