C5 X7 antenna problem

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Infocus_55

C5 X7 antenna problem

Post by Infocus_55 »

Hey there,
I have a small problem with my radio FM in my X7 C5 2016, the radio channels usually work just fine, however there are times that the signal becomes blurry and is not clear, all inside town and with perfect weather conditions,
Is it most probably an antenna problem or software problem?
And is it easily fixed?
Also where is the antenna located in the car?
VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Device: ng4 navigation system.
Thank you
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: C5 X7 antenna problem

Post by Paul-R »

If your car is a Tourer (estate) then it's two printed lines (same as heated rear window lines) on the right hand rear window. Sedan (saloon) I don't know.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Infocus_55

Post by Infocus_55 »

It's Sedan , any way, if it's the same as Tourer , are the tow lines replaceable?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so first issue I have is that your VIN comes up with the standard RD45 MP3 Audio unit, not the NG4. Have you fitted the NG4 yourself?

If so, you are missing some of the aerial component amplifiers..... which is likely why the signal is so bad.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've just realised you've repeated these questions on the other thread about editing NG4 files and I see now that yes, you have retrofitted an NG4 to your vehicle as I suspected above.

I have therefore deleted all those duplicate posts and moved this thread here into the NG4 Forum. Please don't create any more posts or threads on this specific subject, or I'll have to delete them, as it causes confusion and duplication of answers (and more work for me).

So now we know this vehicle was never fitted with the NG4, as I said above, you are missing the specific aerial amplifier wiring and units required for the NG4.

These are the official components of the NG4 for the Saloon. Note it does not show the optional services module (telematic unit), which were also fitted with the NG4 on may vehicles which have the SIM card and different wiring to the head unit.
NG4 X7 Saloon.PNG
(1) Audio amplifier (not fitted in your vehicle).
(2) Right-hand front tweeter.
(3) Front right hand speaker.
(4) Microphone.
(5) Right hand rear speaker.
(6) GPS aerial. (not fitted in your vehicle - but you will have a different aerial)
(7) Aerial amplifier GSM/FM2 (possible not fitted in your vehicle).
(8) Bass box (not fitted in your vehicle).
(9) Aerial amplifier AM/FM1 (possibly not fitted in your vehicle or you may have a different module)
(10) Antenna screenprinted into the rear screen.
(11) Rear left loudspeaker.
(12) Front left hand speaker.
(13) NG4 radio telematics.
(14) Left-hand front tweeter.

There are 2 amplifiers for the aerial on a vehicle with factory fitted NG4, (7) & (9). The RD45 only has one, so I can't tell which if any of these specific 2 you have or it may be a different aerial amplifier fitted as your vehicle is designated for South America.

This is one of the issues you will face with any retrofit, as the NG4 has many other components for example the services module, that you also do not have, along with SIM card that is used by it for GSM operation / emergency services.

So without ripping your car apart to fit amplifier modules and wiring, I think you will have to live with it.

Marc
Infocus_55

Post by Infocus_55 »

Thanks for your quick reply, first I'm sorry for the duplicated posts that's because I didn't know how to create a new topic! As I told you I'm the second owner the first one who replaced the original RD45 with ng4, I don't know if I should check the all connected cables and see whether or not it's installed correctly or maybe abandon the whole idea and get back to the original RD45 with a touch screen android after market?
And thank you so much for your patience and time!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well it means basically you are likely missing one or more amplifiers for the aerials used by the NG4.

Here is the rear of the unit:
NG4 Rear.PNG
These are the connections:

"a" Aerial FM2.
"b" Aerial TV2 (for Japan).
"c" Aerial TV1 (for Japan).
"d" MQS cable connector.
"e" 3-part connector.
"f" GPS aerial .
"g" Aerial FM1/AM.
"h" LVDS 2 cable connector.
"j" USB socket connector.
"k" LVDS 1 cable connector.

The NG4 has a dual FM tuner and uses aerial socket "a" for the FM2 and "g" for the other FM and also the AM reception.

Now as far as I can see the aerial with a grey connector at the back of the NG4 should be the FM2.

The tuner system is equipped with 3 tuners and 2 antennas. This provision allows tuners 1 and 2 to perform the 'diversity' function which means it can constantly scan ahead and find a better frequency and switch to it when using FM.

Now some units may only have a single FM fitted so does not have this function. So have a look at the back of the unit and see if you have an aerial in the grey connection. See if it improves the signal, or you may need to retune the radio manually if you are travelling a lot, because you won't have the 'Diversity' function that requires the second antenna and the additional aerial amplifier at the back of the vehicle under the rear parcel shelf.

Marc
Infocus_55

Post by Infocus_55 »

Thank you so much for your useful information 🙏🙏🙏
Mikev75

Post by Mikev75 »

Hi,
Do you know where antenna (for radio FM are located on a 2010 C5 tourer ) ?
Because since several months, radio reception is very poor.

Thanks in advance
Mickaël
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@Mikev75: It depends what Head Unit you have. Please provide your VIN (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff) and I'll take a look.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

They're most likely to be a printed circuit aerial on the LH rear side window. My 2013 certainly is.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Mikev75

Post by Mikev75 »

Hi @GiveMeABreak,

My VIN is : VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Regards,
Mickaël
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so you have the NG4 Telematics system. The main aerial harness through to the rear contains the GSM & GPS aerial wires that go to the roof aerial receiver. The AM & FM1 and FM2 aerials are routes through to the impedance adaptors and on to the screen printed aerial. The adaptors are concealed behind the quarter panel trims:
x7 tourer aerial.PNG

Marc
Lemonbaguet

Post by Lemonbaguet »

Hello, my radio loses connection from time to time and cant find channels.. bought a new antenna and it didnt help in any way, ive checked the connections behind the radio unit. Where might the antenna amplifier be in my car if it has any? Can someone help please? 8-[
Lemonbaguet

Post by Lemonbaguet »

And the car is citroen C5 2009 tourer