C3 Picasso 1.6 EGT6 Cam Belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Carole_Heard

C3 Picasso 1.6 EGT6 Cam Belt

Post by Carole_Heard »

I have a 2013 C3 Picasso 1.6 EGT6 (petrol turbo automatic) Exclusive edition.
I bought it as an ex-demo unit with 6,000 miles on it, owning it since 2014.
I have always had it maintained by a Citroen main dealer.
Some time ago the main dealer, part of a group, closed its local dealership and my car now goes to their Braintree offices that are mainly a Suzuki dealership.
I read in the owner's handbook that the 1.6 petrol needs a cambelt renewing at 100,000 miles or 10 years. It being the 10 year anniversary, I booked in the car for its annual service, MOT, Cam-belt, tyres, brake rotors, CV gaiters etc etc. I had to hunt down the credit card that was whimpering behind the sofa.
The garage confidently told me the engine has a chain driven cam system.
I have read that there is a chain that links the two camshafts but there is a belt drive up from the crankshaft.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the real story as a broken cam belt is really quite undesirable.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: C3 Picasso 1.6 EGT6 Cam Belt

Post by RichardW »

The 1.6 turbo is the Prince engine as used in BMWs and Minis, and is chain drive. To be fair most need a cam chain change before 100k as they stretch and cause all sorts of errors!!
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C3 Picasso 1.6 EGT6 Cam Belt

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are several 1.6 petrol variants of engine (EP6 and EB) so depends on exactly what you have, as there are belts used on some variants and chain on the other. If you provide your VIN I can see which you have and the recommended change. (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc