C3 Picasso power steering faulty - over 10 years old

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simba7768

C3 Picasso power steering faulty - over 10 years old

Post by simba7768 »

I've looked at few posts here where people with the power steering fault managed to get it repaired without any costs. It seems like most of them were under 10 years old. Mine is just under 12 years old, approx 60,000 miles, and without service history (but being serviced every year privately).
Just wondering if anyone else had this issue after 10 years and what their experience was?
Also, how much would it cost to get it repaired privately? If it's too costly what should I do with the car as otherwise it's in nice condition. I guess scrapping will get it me only about £300/£400 perhaps.
Just to add in the context a bit - I was driving yesterday when all of sudden I heard beep with power steering faulty sign appeared and steering became very hard. I never had this issue before. I turned off the car and started it back, to see if it went away but it didn't. The battery is about 2 years old.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C3 Picasso power steering faulty - over 10 years old

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's possibly electrical, as these have an electrical power steering system built onto the steering rack.

Issues can involve a bad electrical connection (wiring / connector / pins), weak vehicle battery or that the module has just failed internally.

You would need a proper diagnostic to ascertain the specific issue though before deciding what you want to do.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
simba7768

Post by simba7768 »

I managed to get one electician looked at it and he said the wiring was ok and it's the motor.
Do you know if I can buy just the motor with ecu or if it has be the whole long shaft thing too?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That depends on exactly which engine you have as some have replaceable motor / ECU units and others do not. I'll take a look to confirm if you provide your VIN (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc