clutch clip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

edd001
My Cars:

clutch clip

Post by edd001 »

have not posted for a while so thought i would start again by saying my bloody clutch clip broke tonight.
I know it is a pig of a job but any ideas roughly how long it takes to do.[V][V][V]
cheers in advance
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If the bolt is in the right way round and its a self adjusting cable you can crack this job in 1/2 hour.
If you have to go sawing at the bolt and its a manual cable then you are looking at a good bit more, if a manual cable, take note how the pedal spring is fitted and in which direction it pushes the pedal, downwards.
A 1/4" socket set helps, on refitting, hold the nut in the ring spanner by wedging it in with a piece of scrap of card.
Dave
Dave
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

ah not quite the same as on a ZX but i have "fond" memories of the plastic clip giving way on my clutch cable in stationary traffic in the outside lane on the M25, oh how i invented new swear words. Luckily I was buy a exit so had to force my way through using the starter to get going and fix it on the side of the road
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Does anyone know if the Pug 306 has this same plastic clutch clip that is seen on Xantia and the zx? i have read plenty of reports of heavy clutches on the 306, but nothing on clips giving way.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Another problem on the 306 the clutch cable goes over the exhaust pipe because of the right hand drive layout & that causes the cables grease to dry out.
aido

Post by aido »

hi,ive had the cable clip go on my zx twice,they are a crap design,sorted it now,made my own out of a fork! done a few thousand miles now with this system and regularly check it hasnt moved position and so far i havnt had to touch it. mines a 94 volcane td,r kid has a 96 aura and his has a different system.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

started stripping it out. managed to get the old clip of with the pedal in situe. unable to get bloody bolt out so had a thought of removing the speedo dash, i can now see the pedal a lot better as there are 2 holes at the back of the dash which is at the hight of the pedal. will have two do rest tomoz as its getting dark and it has just started chucking it down with rain.
hopefully i am now on the home straight.
I found that if citroen made the break pedal so you could push it down by another 1cm the bolt would come out no probs, stupid.
will let you know how things go tomoz.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Have you pulled the spring loaded pushrod canister from the brake pedal, that might give you the extra required, I got my bolt out without having to cut it.
Dave
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

yes but the break pedal still needs to go down about 1cm. have also taken out carpet from under the pedals.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

have finally finished doing the clutch clip and turned round the bolt for the pedal so when i next have to do it it will be a quick and simple job to do.[^][^][^]
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by edd001</i>

have finally finished doing the clutch clip and turned round the bolt for the pedal so when i next have to do it it will be a quick and simple job to do.[^][^][^]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
well done [:D] did the same myself about 6 weeks ago. It's somewhere on this forum too!
Cheers,
John
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I can now join the 'Clutch Clip Club' - mine going ping on the first day of my week off! How do Cits know you have time to spend on them?
As an avid reader, I knew what had happened but I was unprepared for the reality - what a squeeze. How the hell are you supposed to work right up there! With a bit of persuasion I managed to pry the bolt to one side and have just enough room to withdraw the bolt.
With clutch pedal in hand I went to CGS Autosystems on Gloucester (01452-311110) to buy one of their metal replacements. A bit expensive at £20 I thought until I saw it - what a lovely piece of engineering – it’s a shame to have to hide it right up the back of the dash. Back home and ½ hour later and all’s well. Full Marks to CGS; they are polite, knowledgeable and have a workshop that looks like one… They'll also do mail-order!